Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soldier from the "Thousand yard stare" photo

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by ss456, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ss456

ss456 New Member

Hello!

I've been a long time lurker here, first time poster. I don't expect to get much response to this topic but thought I'd try.

Theodore James Miller was a marine who was the subject of a pretty famous photo depicting battle fatigue/thousand yard stare. He was KIA 1 month after this picture was taken. http://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii1674

I'm curious to know more about him. Does anyone have any information? I've googled but not much information comes up.

Thanks!

Otto likes this.
  2. Owen

Owen O

3. ss456

ss456 New Member

Thanks for your response! That information is pretty much all I could come up with too. For such a famous photo I'm surprised there isn't more information available about him. Did his family ever give interviews about him? How did he die? What was his story before enlisting in the marines? I doubt much information will be found. There's something about this photograph that is so intriguing to me.

4. Owen

Owen O

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This painting is often called "The Thousand Yard Stare" but it's properly "The Two Thousand Yard Stare". (Not wanting to see anything closer than a mile away.)

[​IMG]

6. ss456

ss456 New Member

Thanks for your help, Owen! I'm going to see if I can get his records.

Yeah, I've seen that painting by Tom Lea before, that painting and "The price" are pretty harrowing. I couldn't imagine being in their shoes.