Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soldier Identification help requested

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Steve123, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Steve123

Steve123 New Member

Hello, everyone:

I would like to ask for some help in identifying the owner of these medals. I would like to learn as much as possible but I am stuck right at the starting point! I know that World War II medals are a dead end without any paperwork or other provenance. Luckily, this soldier, received an Efficiency Medal with the Original Ribbon type, with two additional bars. The engraving is:

SSM (WO 2) L.W. SAUNDERS

I believe the inscription means: "Staff Sergeant-Major, Warrant Officer 2nd Class" (then his name, of course, L.W. Saunders"

From what I see in "Medal Yearbook", this a scarce medal. Additionally, I have found that only 475 were awarded with the image of QEII. Perhaps there is a list somewhere of these recipients? I haven't had any luck. I use Ancestry and Fold3, maybe there is another place I should be looking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Best bet is to try Fold3 to get a base to start. Once you find the years he served, Military branch of service etc: I'm willing to say we'll be able to help you flesh out much more. I can't open the picture but the awards should be readily available through a Google search : Military ribbons & medals.
    Welcome by the way.

3. Steve123

Steve123 New Member

Thanks, Biak, I mentioned that I used Fold3 with no luck.

However, I tried again and using periods in his initials helped. I was on the wrong track. It seems he wasn't a Staff Sergeant-Major but listed under General Duties Branch (Air Gunners and Wireless Operators (Air)) as a Squadron Sergeant-Major. His Fold3 Search came up as L.W. but when linked to the record, it showed I.W.

Found!

Thank you for the welcome!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think those medals are most likely British, the Crown maybe?. Someone else will know for sure. Try to our sister site WW2Talk.com also as it is more a European centric melting pot. Between the two sites I can almost guarantee we'll! be able to track 90% of what you're looking for. Good Luck.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  5. Steve123

Steve123 New Member

Thank you, Biak, he was a Canadian. The Efficiency medal has a fixed suspender bar with "Canada" and there is a Canadian Forces Decoration on the miniature bar.
    Steve

Biak likes this.
  6. Steve123

Steve123 New Member

Although finding as much as knowing for sure that he was RCAF serving in GB during WWII, I can't find anything else. I would love to learn his squadron, then I could find more information but that has proven an exhaustive search. As I am new to researching medals, I would like to know if anyone has any expertise that they could share?
    Thanks,
    Steve

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Have you inquired over at WW2talk.com? Sister forum with proper respect for the Crown. ;)

8. Steve123

Steve123 New Member

Hi, OpanaPointer, yes, I just posted over there as well.
    Steve

OpanaPointer likes this.