Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Soldiers from your famlly

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Major Hubal, Sep 17, 2008.

1. skywalker

skywalker Member

Grandpa on Mums side (never met) was scheduled to fight in the South Pacific but his unit for whatever reason did not go. He fought at the Battle of Darwin. At wars end he was going to be stationed in Japan during the occupation, but Nanna had a child on the way so they decided not to send him. Nearly forgot. He was on his was to North Africa but it was found out he was too young. Other Grandpa was too young to participate in WW2.

Nannas Brother was a tail gunner, I can not remember where yet I do suspect North Africa. My Nannas Cousin im sure fought in some theatre in World War 2. Yet apparently the rumour is he underwent war experiments that embittered him. Could tie in with Marilinga (Nuke bombings) but its never been confirmed.

Mum Had cousins who fought in Vietnam, one as a scout. Apparently some Bikers were giving him cheek or trying to fight him. They got beat an apparently one asked where he learnt to fight like that. He just replied "Vietnam"

Military history prior to that is sketchy. Unsure if any direct relatives fought in WW1.

2. fricker66

fricker66 Member

Both grandfathers served in WWII. One was with the 20th AAF in the Pacific. Other was a surgical assistant with the Army stationed at a hospital in England. Had one uncle serve during Vietnam. Don't know of any military history prior to WWII.

3. Boozie

Boozie Member

One Grandfather for the Crown in the French and Indian War.

Seven Grandfathers in the Revolution. Some were regular and some militia.

Three Grandfathers in the War of 1812. One died at New Orleans of disease.

Four Grandfathers in the Civil War. Three in the Union Army and one in the Confederate Army. 10th Indiana Inf., lost eye at Perryville, KY.; 15th Ohio Inf.; 136th Ohio Inf. & 52nd Tennessee Inf. (C.S.) wounded battle of Murfreesboro aka Stones River, TN.

One Grandfather and three Uncles in WW I. Two of the Uncles Fought in the Ardennes; members of the 37th Division. Their nephew would be killed there in 1945.

One Grandfather, "Bill" Alexander was a Navy Seabee (Pacific). Three uncles in the U.S. Army. Pete Norton, William Eugene Norton served in Europe. William (avatar image) belonged to the 2nd I.D., 23rd Inf. as a Medic and was K.I.A. 1/19/45. Everett R. Poole served in the Pacific and lived with ghosts until he died.

Two Uncles served in the U.S. Army; Vietinam.

4. SpearheadMP

SpearheadMP Member

Going backwards thru time...
    I served in and retired from the Army 1985-2006, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom vet.

I have a nephew on his second tour in Iraq now, wounded his first tour, 15 minutes into his first patrol. His Stryker was IED'd.

My father and one of his brothers served in Korea, Dad was Navy amphibs Inchon, Pusan and Wonson. His brother was a combat engineer, Siver Star awardee (notice I didn't say "winner"). The remaining four brothers all served, two in WW2. One Navy amphibs, Iwo and Okinawa (ship struck by kamikaze) and one in Eight air Force as a B17 crewman that would sneak onto the aircraft as a gunner. Of the other two remaining brothers, one served just after WW2, took part in the atomic testing, and the other was Air Force Intelligence in Turkey.

My maternal grandfather also served in WW2, Army, starting as an Infantryman, wounded in the invasion of southern France. Still trying to research on his unit. I am think it may have been 5th ID, 2d BDE but not sure. His 214 only says 2d Regiment. He was shot in the leg and bayoneted in the ribs. Only penetrated a small distance before his own brother shot the German. He was left under some boards by a railroad track in Nice, France for three days and it became infected. Always had a limp afterward. If anyone has info here, I'd be interested.

My great-great grandfather served with an Illinois artillery unit in the Civil War.

Somewhere down the line, my ancestors fought the English along the border of Scotland and England.

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Shouldnt worry about it, we all fought the English at some time or other.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Can't go back as far as some, since all four of my grandparents were Italian immigrants in the early 20th century.
    Father's family
    Father - Army WW2
    Uncle - Army WW2
    Uncle - Paratrooper WW2 (Being the 3rd brother, he was offered the Medical Corps, but refused it. His mother never knew until he came home. He told me he "took off in lots of planes, but never landed in one.")

Mother's family
    2 Uncles in the Navy during late '40's into the '50's

Brother-in-law served in the Navy in Viet Nam

Lou

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

My Granfather served with the 29th Infantry Division. He was in the first wave to land on Omaha Beach on D-Day..he was a radio man..He received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. He made it home.

8. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

My father served in the Regular Army (WWII, Korea, Cold War) from 1939-1945, 1946-1948, and 1949-1962 and retired in 1962 as a SFC. Two uncles served in the National Guard and were mobilized during WWII and served in Italy and Europe. One uncle served in the US Navy in the Pacific during WWII. Two son-in-laws each served four years in the USMC.

9. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Great Uncle - Marine Raider, Guadalcanal, Wounded in Foot (lived)
    Great Uncle - Infantryman, Phillipines, 1944
    Great Uncle - Merchant Marine, Burma, 1942-3
    Great Uncle - Sailor, Battleship, South Pacific
    2nd Cousin - Marine, Vietnam, Winner of the Silver Star and wounded
    Great-Great Grandfather - WWI Ambulance Driver
    Ancestor - Union Soldier, Iron Brigade, Killed in Action at Gettysburg on Day 1
    Ancestor - Confederate Soldier, Pickett's Division, Killed in Action at Gettysburg, Day 3

Plus alot of my uncles and aunts are Cops, and my granfather was in the army for a while in the 1950s before he was honorably discharged and became a cop (he did not see combat, but its really interesting what he went through in training).

10. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

The uncle of my Grandmother served as a Drummer in a Füsilier Company around 1900. My Grandfather served in a Dicke Bertha Battery during WW I; in 1945 he went into french captivity. I still possess his spoon and tin cup from the POW-Camp.
    A brother of my Grandmother got captured at El Alamein.
    My father served in an Infantry Regiment in France 1940 (under the command of the 20th July conspirator Oberst/later General von Stülpnagel) and Russia 1941 - 42. He spent all the winter as a squad leader at the front in the Rzev Area Northwest of Moscow, fighting Rearguard actions, until relieved from duty because of frostbite. A few weeks after his return to his regiment, he received a near-fatal wound that cost him an eye and injured the other one, and was honourably discharged afterwards. His younger brother was a tank driver and was killed in action a week after his 19th birthday, less than 50 kilometers from home. Another brother is still missing in action since the battle of Budapest 1944/45. Three of my Father's cousins have been killed in Northern Finland, in the Baltic (Kurland) and somewhere in Russia. Another cousin had served as a Foreign Legionnaire in Indochina when the Japanese invaded in 1943, and was killed there. My Mother's brother lost an arm at the age of 20 in 1944.
    I served in a Territorial Unit 20 years ago, never heard a shot fired in anger. My elder brother is a sergant major and volunteered, after his retirement, for a second tour in Afghanistan, where he stays at the very moment.

11. gsadler1972

gsadler1972 Member

Soldiers In My Family - Begin at The Beginning.

Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements

Pension application of David Sadler S9471 fn44SC

This applicant was born in Pennsylvania in the year 1762 – removed when a boy to York District in South Carolina and when he was 16 years and four months old was drafted to serve his Country in support of American Independence and under Lieutenant Hemphill marched to the neighborhood of Bacon's Bridge – forces commanded by General Williamson – collected at the Picket
    was attacked the night after he got into camp and that they were out for some time but cannot recollect how long, thinks three months – second tour went off in quest of British in the direction of Stono, was sick at the battle though in the immediate neighborhood – He was again in a battle at Mobley's Meeting
    house commanded probably by Colonel Neil [sic, Neel] and near Colonel Bratton's fought the Tories who were commanded by Hook [sic, Huck] and who was killed. The American forces commanded by Bratton & Neel as Colonels. Having served these two tours which he thinks consisted of three months
    each he joined as a volunteer one Captain McClure with whom he served two tours of two months and three months but does not recollect very distinctly what they done nor where they went to being a boy & going where he was ordered. Shortly after this intelligence came that Sumter was getting up Forces and attempting to rally the Country with McClure joined Sumter directly after were attacked at the Fish-dam Ford on Broad River in the night and had to retreat, followed and overtaken by them next day about dinner time when our troops resisted & beat them back till Sumter was wounded in the shoulder and they again retreated – Colonel Moffett – Colonel Neel, Colonel Bratton & Colonel Sam. Watson were all his commanders at different times but cannot tell the manner in which they succeeded. He continued with Sumter from the time he joined him until 'Wallis [sic, Cornwallis'] defeat unless when occasionally at home for a few days – was in the battle at Rocky Mount & that day week [sic, the same
    day a week later] in the battle of the Hanging Rock the hardest he was in during the war. He was for three days about Granby firing on the British forted there -- went down to a little Fort near Buckhead –short distance below captured he thinks 18 wagons of baggage & the British guard fought hard until nearly all killed – they were retaken that night – crossed the Santee after Sumter's wife – a few days after near Wrights Bluff came on the British in ambush a heavy & disruptive fire & made to retreat – next day tired of fighting and starving went home but he a short time again joined Sumter – was with him in various skirmishes as often as opportunity offered until the British left the State – afterwards, harassed the Tories – became exceedingly imprudent with success – served a tour of something like three months in the neighborhood of Orangeburg and continued serving until Cornwallis was defeated – never had a discharge or any documentary evidence of service – Feels satisfied that he was in actual
    service exceeding two years
    Sworn to and subscribed day & year aforesaid in open Court. S/ David Sadler
    S/ Van A. Lanhone, C. C.
    [Sanford Vandiver, a clergyman, & James Thompson gave the standard supporting affidavit.] State of South Carolina, Anderson District

12. gsadler1972

gsadler1972 Member

My father's side of the Family is named SADLER (See David Sadler's Revolution Pension above. My mother's side of the family is named BEATY. See below David Beaty's Revolution Pension. Both recieved their pensions!

Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements
    Pension application of David Beatty, W4894

State of North Carolina, Iredell County
    On this 20th day of August 1833 personally appeared in open court before the Justice of the Court of pleas & quarter Sessions now setting David Beatty a resident of the county of Iredell in the state of North Carolina aged Seventy one years who being first sworn in due form of law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.
    That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated: That in the Summer of the year 1780 he volunteered his services as a Substitute for his father Thomas Beaty [sic, Beatty] in a company of militia commanded by Captain Dixon—This company was to hold themselves always in readiness to march at a moment's Warning & were called minute men. Under this arrangement he served two tours of two weeks each under Dixon after which Dixon moved out of the bounds of the company and the applicant served two other tours of two weeks each under Capt. Huggins making altogether that Summer 2 months. That in the early part of the year 1781 Gen. Davidson proclaimed that whoever would enter the service of the country for the purpose of opposing the progress of Lord Cornwallis then in pursuit of Morgan should for six Weeks service be allowed for three months service, that he entered this corps as a volunteer under Capt Higgins and served six Weeks joining the army under Col. Williams at Beaty's [sic, Beatties] ford & was guarding the Tuckaseegee Ford at the time the British Crossed above. Applicant pursued in the rear of the British Army into Guilford County where he joined the army under Gen. Greene and was discharged about two days before the battle at Guilford Court house having served in this tour.
    The next service was also in the year 1781. He entered as a volunteer in the horse under Capt. Locke for three months and joined the corps under Col. Locke and Gen. Rutherford on Little River in Rowan County and marched to Fayetteville (then called Cross Creek) and then to the east fork of Cape Fear [River] and marched & counter marched in the country near Wilmington which we entered at the time it was evacuated by the British army and returned thence to Salisbury where he was discharged having served his tour.

13. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I seem to have missed this one;
    Grandad- Argylls WW1
    Youngest brother - Cameronians WW1
    Middle brother- KOSB WW1 (Decorated for bravery)
    Oldest brother-7th Royal Scots WW1 (Killed in Gretna Green disaster)
    My dad- Royal Signals WW2 (N. Africa & Italy)
    Oldest brother-Argylls WW2 (N. Africa, Italy, NW Europe)
    Youngest brother-RAF WW2 (India & Burma)

14. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Relatives who have served:
    Paternal Grandfather - WWI
    I’ve heard he was a Marine but can not confirm this.
    We have postcards he mailed from Europe
    Paternal Uncles:
    Merle - WWII SWPA, Korea, Ret. Colonel USAF
    Donald - WWII ETO, Vietnam, Ret. Lt. Colonel USAF
    Russell - WWII Navy
    Raymond -USAF
    Herman - Army WWII
    Ed - Army WWII
    My Dad -Army Korea era
    Cousins:
    Don - Vietnam - Army, Gordon - Vietnam, Navy (Subs), Dave - Gulf War 91’ Navy Corpsman
    Mike - USAF, Amanda , Army currently serving, Russell III, Army- just graduated basic
    Maternal :
    Uncles and Cousins;
    Irwin - Army WWI
    Bill - WWII ETO USAAF
    Shot down and evaded capture, returned to friendly lines after 600 mile odyssey
    David - USCG, Frank - Civil War,

15. MCMLXXXII

MCMLXXXII recruit

Both my Grandfathers and Father served in the British Army.

Unfortunately I don't know an awful lot about my Grandads apart from that one was a Sergeant and he fought in Korea.

My old man didn't see much active service apart from a tour of N.Ireland in the 70's.

16. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

[deleted]

17. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Great Grand father WWI era...never made it over seas
    Grandpa Harold....WWII navy, USS Missouri
    Dad...Navy Vietnam, USS Guadalcanal

I have read all of these posts and I keep reading something that bugs me...I feel you don't "win" medals. You are awarded them. It's sort of a big difference.

BFBSM and von Poop like this.
  18. Krahe3

Krahe3 Member

Grandfather Army MP WWII - EAME CM, Good Conduct, WWII Victory
    Grandfather Army INF WWII - Good Conduct, American Thr Ser, EAME Ser W/3 BS, Victory Medal, CIB
    Uncle Army Mechanic Vietnam - Purple Heart W/ BOC, Bronze Star
    Myself Army Combat Engineer, Supply, Transportation 1996 to Present -

19. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It's a funny semantic point LukeT, but I agree with you 100%.
    They are earnt, or awarded, 'winning' just seems wrong.

It's like when someone says a person 'died' in military conflict.
    To my mind they were definitely 'killed' rather than 'just' died.

Maybe we're just being old farts and it shouldn't bother us, but it does strike me every time I read one of the above. The TV/Radio news in particular seems intermittently fond of eg. "X soldier/s died today in Afghanistan", and it bugs me every time. They didn't just 'die' while walking along, they were usually 'killed' by the direct intentional actions of another human being.
    Bryan Budd didn't 'win' the VC in a lottery, or christmas cracker... He earnt it by his own actions, and was killed in the process.

~A

BFBSM likes this.
  20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Interesting semantic point there VP, I take your point on 'winning' medals though I think that actually in the case of medals it is used in the sense of 'to achieve' which is rather an old fashioned use. On the bright side though that means far from being an 'old fart' you are in fact young and trendy.

As for dieing vs being killed, well again it is accurate to say that x soldier 'died' though I think that it makes it easier to handle. There is something much more deliberate about being 'killed,' we don't like to think of people 'killing' one another (not in the real world). It's a lot like when people talk about folks 'passing away,' it just makes things easier. Not sure I agree with it but it is at least an explanation.