Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Some of my tanks....

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Oli, May 21, 2005.

1. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Cutting up two T80 kits and working from a dozen photos and one Russian-language magazine with a side view drawing I built this - my idea of a REAL tank. Still waiting for its side skirts, note the clever (lazy) use of toilet tissue to cover the bits of the turret that the Russians don't want you looking at - also saves building fiddly detail on a model as well. The pride of my modern wargame army - the defrensive system really work!!

Next we've got one of my ideas after reading far too much about externally-mounted guns, and an old RUSI article suggesting that MBTs should carry autocannon for soft skin killing and a mortar for long-range soft targets, leaving the 152mm main gun for anti-tank duties. I decided a "battlefield" salvage rocket pod would probably be useful. About six months after I built I find that the Russians have actually studied something along these lines. Fictional camo scheme used for my country in a wargames campaign we had, the slogan is Ubi'itsa = murderer. Unfortunately every time I put it the wargames table opponents took one look, decided itt was the biggest threat and killed every single time before it got a shot off.

Here's my take on the Conway, Centurion hull, 183mm gun. For some reason it never caught on. And there's very little about - I worked off a few photos available on the net. Another fictional camouflage scheme.

2. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    about the camo, are they sutable for a carnival? :lol:

3. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ha ha. Assume you mean the T-95 particularly? Always gets a laugh, but the wierd thing is, I was sat on the floor watching TV as I painted it, put it down for a drink of coffee and lost it!!! On a red carpet. I had to spend five minutes literally on hands knees running my hands slowly over the carpet until I found it by touch. So wierd, yeah. Effective, most definitely.
    But it doesn't work on a green wargames table - maybe I can tell my opponent that the next tank battle is going to be on Mars.
    Oli

4. D90

D90 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The color on the Conway looks pretty cool.

5. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    for rio's carnaval, sure!!!!

6. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, I like "experimental" camo patterns, as if you hadn't noticed. I don't think any of my AFVs are painted in the same colours, even for the same table-top games. Makes for some wierd-looking tank troops.
    IIRC the Conway was done with nearly dry paint on a piece of sponge, to get the blobbed effect - does a large area in one go, I think it was about 5-6 hits with the sponge for the entire vehicle.
    Oli

7. Tomba

Tomba New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They look cooooool!

Tomba