Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spectator in Hell. (British POWs in Auschwitz) by Colin Ruston

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by Fred Wilson, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Spectator in Hell. A British Soldiers's Story of Imprisonment in Aushwitchz. (Google Books Preview)
    Arthur Dodd's account by Colin Ruston

Nearly one-and-a-half thousand British prisoners-of-wars were sent to the Nazi death camps at Auschwitz.
    Now a new book, Spectator in Hell, brings to light the stories of those who survived the hell of Hitler’s Final Solution.

Nick Ryan reports in 1998: http://www.nickryan.net/articles/auschwitz.html

I have been to Auschwitz. 1973. WIth out doubt the most depressing day of my life.
    This particular subject area is one I abhor. I lose sleep over it every time the topic comes up.

This book was recommended by the person I went with, and I have to admit it is very hard to put down. Well written.

Edit: Typo.

2. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Not that new, First published 1998!!!

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

thankfully-?--most humans abhor and really cannot fathom murder, torture, etc....if you read comment sections, a lot of them ask ''how could he do it''?? ''I just don't understand?"" but we see many people that participated someway in the Final Solution......did the war ''free'' some of the inner, human, traits?? I think so...thanks for the recommendation as it seems to give a different perspective..I might've read it, but didn't realize the Brit POWs were sent there