Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spiegel's take on the Demjanjuk trial

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by BWilson, May 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BWilson

BWilson Member

(Der Spiegel) "The Germans are responsible for the industrial-scale mass murder of 6 million Jews. (and about five million others -- my comment) But the collusion of other European countries in the Holocaust has received surprisingly little attention until recently. (Hmm -- I don't think the knowledge that other countries collaborated in varying degree with the Holocaust is that obscure -- my comment) The trial of John Demjanjuk is set to throw a spotlight on Hitler's foreign helpers.

He's been here before, in this country of perpetrators. He saw this country collapse. He was 25 at the time and his Christian name was Ivan, not John; not yet.

Ivan Demjanjuk served as a guard in Flossenb├╝rg concentration camp until shortly before the end of World War II. He had been transferred there from the SS death camp in Sobibor in present-day Poland. He was Ukrainian, and he was a Travniki, one of the 5,000 men who helped Germany's Nazi regime commit the crime of the millennium -- the murder of all the Jews in Europe, the "Final Solution." "

More at The Dark Continent: Hitler's European Holocaust Helpers - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Cheers

BW