Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spitfires found in mint conition

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by namvet, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Thanks KodiakBeer, that'll work just fine. Glad to see the royalties have you 'flush'.
    I'll see if he will just post his bank account number here and those who want can simply deposit directly. Shouldn't cause any undue problems.

Man! "He" can start calling the travel agents and planning the vaca.. uh preparing the expedition research team.

New updates should be forthcoming within the next few months.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

These P-47's didn't happen to go down in the vicinity of a five star hotel in French Polynesia by chance?

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Actually, I can contribute in a similar manner. I recently acquired a rather significant amount of currency from a Colonel G. from a certain North African country that should remain nameless:

View attachment 18269

Take it or leave it, but note I cannot be responsible for any possible legal action involving the ICC.

Anyway, back on topic: it looks like Cundall's Burmese associate is saying "I told you so". This paragraph speaks volumes:

"In 1997, I contacted Brigadier Derrick Baynham, who had been the aide-de-camp to Reginald Dorman-Smith, the British governor of Burma at the end of the war. He had been an officer in the Special Operations Executive and he said, 'This story cannot be true. I would have known about it. I would have seen documents.' So you had people like him, at a high level, saying 'This is not possible,' and the only person saying yes was a private."

Some of our Spitfires are missing: Doubts over existence of 160 WW2 fighter planes in Burma - Asia - World - The Independent

Attached Files:

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I have it on good authority that the unnamed journalist that Biak refers to has top people working on the P-47 excavation.

[​IMG]

5. Biak

The location is of course a closely guarded secret. Various determining factors are being used to assess the best possible location to begin explorations. Egress to soft sandy beaches preferable.
    The one posted above would be a good place to start.

ps: due to the graphic nature of the above photograph I am now putting down the Scotch and heading outside (temperature minus 7F) to look at the Stars. Is it hot in here or what?

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

The KD for WAAF'S has improved!:D:cool:

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

PayPal ? :)

8. Martin Bull

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

so here they are at last Herr Hauptmann!

[​IMG]

10. Biak

As with any account such as this, skepticism can rear its ugly head. There are currently some who are comparing the Biak Recovery & Vacation of a Lifetime foundation to another expedition which has turned out to be what many are now considering a complete waste of time and money.
    I have been assured that the search and recovery of up to 36 P-47’s, with the possibility of a complete B-29, can and will be achieved. It is thought that last nights revelation of the possibility of a B-29 Super Fortress being in the same area as the reported nearly 40 P-47’s, was induced by the images caused by post #84. It is being refuted that dreams of a ‘Mile High Club” caused by the previously mention post #84 happened also. Tunnel to rear gunner not withstanding.

It is believed that negotiations are underway with several sponsors and these are showing promise. So far the BRVoaL foundation has been pledged 16 cents; one check is in the mail and one envelope stuffed with cash should be delivered to the Foundation soon. It has been implied the offer of a rather large sum, from a late oil producing tycoon, has been received also.
    Recent information has surfaced that talks are going on with a Shepard “somewhere” in England (or possibly New Zealand), for fleece needed for reproduction A-2 jackets that will be provided to every member of the expedition. Two of these will be ordered and field tested before any additional purchases are made.

11. Martin Bull

Nooooooooooo! Surely not......here at the WWII Forums we believe in the power of positive thinking ( otherwise known as Triumph Of The Will...)

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

An envelope stuffed with cash and addressed to "Unnamed Journalist, 62 miles south of 49th parallel" is in the mail. Please tell your excavation assistant that should she need someone to rub sunscreen (or any other lotions) on her, I stand by to pitch in.

13. Biak

Here I was thinking positive thoughts and "someone" peeked over my shoulder and saw the intention of those 'Thoughts' :: aka #84. That bag of money from Alaska can't get here fast enough.

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

We could have bloody done with them back then!

15. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Eh...? I only got an order for 2 of em...and black ones at that...The hats and boots are extra...wife has trouble getting the fleas out...and then she has trouble getting em out of the fleeces too.

16. Biak

With my sincere apologies to namvet who started this;

January 22, 21013 bk
    New News has come to light that suggests the search for nearly 75 P-47 aircraft now being referred to as The Lost Patrol, may acquire additional financial backing. The revelation of an additional number of aircraft which could bring the total to 80 P-47 Thunderbolts is thought to have increased interest from various factions in the penny stock ranks.
    It has also been reported that orders of certain expedition materials such as Extreme-Cold-Weather outerwear have been forwarded to a supplier. This raises questions as to the exact where-about’s of the purported resting place of the “Lost Patrol” aircraft. A Diary assumed to be from a member of the lost flight has purportedly been found which states ‘icing’ of the wings could have been a factor of the misdirected mission.
    The unnamed leader of the search team is assuring interested parties that the ‘cold weather gear’ has nothing to do with the current weather conditions at his home base. Minus 18 to 24 degree temp’s are merely customary for this time of the year and the addition of fleece lined pants, hats, gloves and long johns are for contingency purposes only in the case of adverse weather conditions at the excavation site.

The preceding article is copyrighted and no one may reproduce in any way, shape or form without the written permission of the author. It is further stated that should this appear in a certain British publication the said publication will be responsible for two round trip tickets from the USA to Merry Old England with such remuneration as to afford a comprehensive travel itinerary of the surrounding areas. Not the least of which will include the Beaches of Normandy, The French Alps, several pubs and accommodations at Bed & Breakfasts.

17. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

It looks like the expedition is 'dead' -- there's been no news since the 23rd. Here's the last article:

Spitfire Dig To Continue At Second Site

In short, Cundall says they will start digging at the second site "soon".

No offense to anyone involved, but after looking at pictures and reading a lot of these news articles, the entire expedition appeared to be poorly organized and a waste of money. They didn't have the proper equipment, the sponsors pulled out after just two weeks, weren't allowed to dig to the depth they wanted to, etc. I appreciate what Cundall is trying to do, but next time a lot more research and preparation must be in order.

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Alan, there is not in single peron in these nine pages who ever believed there was an expedition. It's all second and third degree . I'm off to dig up a few Spits now.

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

And I have to email my Social Security Number to a bank in Nigeria so I can get the $250,000 check they are holding for me.

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ah ah, that's how you are going to buy your first aircraft!