Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spring 1940

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by GunSlinger86, Sep 8, 2019.

1. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

I know this has been gone over so forgive me... In the Spring of 1940 the French had 100 divisions on the line or in reserve, they had the BEF, from all accounts I have read the French and British combined had better quality/ more tanks. Was it down to tactics, being Germany taking the offensive in an area not expected and the French thinking in a totally defensive strategy and digging in that gave the Germans such a quick and overwhelming victory? It seems they were evenly matched in men and Materiel, with the Allies having a slight advantage. Also, was it air support in numbers that Germany deployed versus lack of air support on the Allied side?

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..Germany defeated not 1 but 2 countries' armies---''quickly'' [ blitzkrieg ] --so yes! what was the difference?!
    1. the Germans were/are good--they were/are known for their discipline/organization/etc
    --a. with a culture of discipline, it's ''easier'' to train men for the military and those men will shoot/react/fight/move/etc efficiently [ generally speaking ]
    ---weapons/equipment will be in order = greater efficiency
    ..I was one of the better shooters in my 8 years with the USMC,,now, some people might think it's easy to shoot--hit the target...you just line up the rear and front sights--yes?? no, it's not easy...it takes discipline
    ..it takes discipline to keep weapons/vehicles in top shape
    --with discipline in training you get more efficiency with the real thing
    --b. and this discipline/organization will also be seen as a great advantage in the logistics area--which is very important to battles

yes, were not the Germans on the move and not static.....? yes, better tactics....?
    Germans used their tanks ''en masse'' -generally speaking vs the French did not....?