Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS dagger

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Pierre, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Pierre

Pierre Member

HI ,I want as much information as possible on this dagger
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pierre

Pierre Member

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Pierre likes this.
  4. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

I see nothing wrong with this piece either Pierre. This is one of the 'new' codes that the fakers are using but there are usually major red flags like mis placed grip eagles and mottos that are just horrendous. If you decided to sell it the seller may want pics of the tang...but I see no reason for this now.

Pierre likes this.
  5. Pierre

Pierre Member

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

The only thing I can add is that I liked the crisp details that you see in various places all over the dagger and such as well as the maker mark on the Dagger hanger is th stylized "A" for Assmann and Sohn. I have an early war Pilots badge made by the same firm using the same stylized "A".

7. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Assmann used the same logo up until around 1958 I believe and then they switched over to a new design...this is far from an early SS dagger.

Pierre...the COA is worth about as much as toilet paper....it gives one a false sense of security...it makes people feel like they can go out and buy things that they have no business buying simply because they have a 'COA"...it is a joke and the biggest hustle since platform shoes with gold fish in them....the COA has made Muppet's out of many collectors and made some dealers wildly rich....buy the items....not the dealer, COA or story! :)

You have a nice dagger...Pierre...I would say in that condition with the hanger you could probably get around $3,000.00 for it right now. Had it been a M'33 by Klass it could bring upwards of $4,000 - $4,5000. You'd have no issues selling it for $2,700. + in my estimation. The economy has really put a hurtin' on these pieces if you ask me.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This is indeed a nice Solingen made blade. Most fakers would not bother with the cold engraving techniques, it would be too hasardous for a non skilled worker and details could be spotted easily. This one being perfect, I assume it is a real dagger. The date is another matter, but I have no reason to doubt about it. I'm saying this because some Solingen craftsmen kept on making these blades after the war for allied soldiers to get some pocket money and used older codes.

9. Pierre

Pierre Member

Thanks Carl I always wondered what this A meant,the watch is the only thing I researched
    P.

10. Pierre

Pierre Member

Some boxes filled with daggers where discovered in a cellar in germany in the 50's and since anything SS related was not political correct ,all the daggers where sold to a cuban sugar factory ,removing everything from the daggers and grinding away the blade more than hundreds of original unissued SS daggers saw a new life in the sugar fields of Cuba
    I have also a luftwaffe dagger and will ask for you opinions on that one
    Cheers
    P;

11. Pierre

Pierre Member

thanks I am aware that this is a very late model ,I only purchased this one
    because of the low dollar ,you are completly correct on the value of this dagger and I had the opportunity to buy one here in Europe but than it was 2700€ my purchase was at 1€ for 1,65$ so I think no money thrown away here ,of course always a risk buying an item you can't visiual inspect but it turned out to be ok,I had one week to have the dagger inspected and ask for a refund
    P.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Pierre, glad to help in my own small way ;-))

Oh and for anyone interested? Reddick Enterprises-which is out of Texas, is making repo SS Daggers from the same machinery that made the dagger you see here. Reddick purchased this equipment around a decade ago and he makes SS daggers using the same materials as the originals. Now, this is not a "fakers warning" because Reddick also purposelu stamps them with something iding them as repos so that some "enterprising individuals" cannot buy these from him for around $100 bucks, then turn around and sell them for $2,000 or so Dollars to unsuspecting potential buyers.