Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS-Fürsorge- u. Versorgungsführer in Dänemark???

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by SMJ, Jun 4, 2003.

1. SMJ

SMJ Member

Hi all

Do anyone have an idea of what: "SS-Fürsorge- u. Versorgungsführer in Dänemark" is?

I found out that an Danish SS soldier that died 1.2.42, had an feldpost number, that belonged to this unit.
    But i have no idea of what this unit was!

Can anyone help me!

Thanks;
    Sverri

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I don't know what that term is but I have seen it before in a book I have. Let me look into it tonight and see if I can't find it and wil let you know if I do.

3. rob-wssob

rob-wssob Member

Hmmm. "SS-Fürsorge- u. Versorgungsamt" is a sub-department of the SS Main Office (SS-HA). My literal translation would be "SS-Supply Office for the Welfare Service."
    The department's main office was in Berlin, but its likely that the SS set up a sub-branch in Denmark with the creation of the volunteer SS legion.

If this SS soldier died on or around Feb 1, 1942, that would be prior to the Freikorps Danmark posting to Demjansk - in other words - this guy died, perhaps in a training accident, while the unit was still in Germany.

The SS-HA handled personnel records of W-SS personnel, but I'm not exactly sure what the "SS-Fürsorge- u. Versorgungsamt" did. It either a) served as a regular personnel registry for the W-SS b) was the unit W-SS troops were assigned to while they were training or c) was the benefits department, which handled stuff like wills, life insurance, death benefits for the family, etc. upon the death of a soldier.

Sorry I can't give you an exact answer, but I hope this helps - Rob

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Rob--thats what it is. Back when I was doing bio-sketches on Sr Waffen SS commanders--I did run across one of them that had been a part of that office. So--the source I was going to get that from was from one of Mark Yergers books.

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Interesting info Rob!