Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. David h

David h Member

Hi, this is my 1st post so just thought i would show a couple of pics of a couple of my ss lids, i have an early et64 d/d ss and an m42 ef64 s/d plus an et battle damaged relic from demjansk,the d/d was origionally apple green d/d ss then reissued to a d/d ss black then back to green rgds Dave

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      134 KB
      Views:
  2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

to be honest dave, are the dd decals post war applied?....

I'm not doubting decals as original! just that they appear to be over later paintwork? which seems to have been over old chipped paint! thats why I asked..

3. David h

David h Member

hi, i have had this checked out thoroughly its 100000% genuine on waf and walhalla and war relics forum, its got 3 decals either side ,they are pocher decals, the helmet was painted black postwar to most probably hide its identity of belonging to a member of the ss,it was cleaned off but still has traces on the party decal ,heres a bit more info on it http://www.walhalla.se/topic/21139-dd-ss/ rgds Dave

Attached Files:

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

have I seen this recently for sale? ebay?

5. David h

David h Member

The m42 is a kia with blood damaged liner and chinstraps been cut where they removed from body, rgds Dave

Attached Files:

6. David h

David h Member

no, i got it from a dealer friend of mine, rgds Dave

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi David, I must admit your helmets are troubling and look genuine including the decals, I'm not expert in decals though, but I'll trust your word. They are nice looking collector itmes to say the least.

8. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi Dave, as you know I used to own this helmet and I'm not sure about the KIA story. I thought the strap had snapped off because of poor storage and the same for the condition of the liner. As I told you previously this helmet was recovered from a rubbish skip in the south Wales valleys and the liner was very dry, crumbling and with parts snapping off it. I treated it with oil and this softened it considerably.
    I would be interested to hear where the KIA theory came from, as it never came with the helmet when I owned it.

Jerry

Attached Files:

sniper1946 likes this.
  9. David h

David h Member

Hi Jerry, i came up with that conclusion after seeing quite a few blood damaged liners, blood eats the leather making it look burned and crumble,i showed it in the past and people agree its the result of blood,the strap is cut at an angle and not snapped, rgds Dave

10. VonBond

VonBond Member

Hi Dave, I agree it is a reasonable conclusion, though I thought the cut on the strap was in line with the 'sharp' rim of the helmet and that is what had cut it. Nice lid, either way and you already know about my regrets in parting with it.

Jerry

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im no experts on helmets-by any means of the imagination but, as relics, they still look in nice shape though. Ive only owned one M-35 DD lid, which was a Luftwaffe lid I got circa 1998 from BRS Militaria in Kennebunkport, Maine. Mine was named to an NCO whose name I no longer remember? Anywya, I wish I had taken pics of it to use in comparison to oher lids even if it wasnt an SS lid.

Anyway, nice stalhelms.