Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SS Stephen Hopkins

Discussion in 'Convoys and Troopships' started by Chariot Whiskey, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Chariot Whiskey

Chariot Whiskey Member

Today, September 27, is the 68th anniversary of the of the fight between the SS Stephen Hopkins and the German Auxiliary Cruiser Stier off the coast of South Africa
    The Hopkins was a Liberty ship with one 4" gun plus some 20mm's. Stier had six 5.9" guns. Both the Hopkins and the Stier were sunk in the battle. The German supply ship Tannenfels was damaged in the fight.
    Only 15 Naval Armed Guard members and Merchant Mariners from the Hopkins survived.

ULITHI likes this.
  2. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

3. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

The stories of auxuliary ships shooting at each other has always interested me.

Have you all read about the RMS Carmania's battle with the SMS Cap Trafalgar in WWI? Two luxury liners with guns!

4. Chariot Whiskey

Chariot Whiskey Member

The picture by my forum name shows my father standing in front of the same model 4" gun [4"/50 caliber, I think] that the Hopkins carried.
    The picture was taken on the Liberty troopship SS Reverdy Johnson

5. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Yep. I believe Colin Simpson wrote a book about the battle. It was titled "The Ship that Hunted Itself". Which is fitting since the day she was sunk, the Cap Trafalgar was disguised as the Carmania and vice-versa.

Getting back to the Hopkins and Stier, there is one book out there wholly dedicated to the engagement:
    http://www.amazon.com/Action-South-Atlantic-Gerald-Reminick/dp/1889901385

6. slcarter007

slcarter007 recruit

On September 27, 2011, the Liberty ship SS Jeremiah O'Brien will re-enact this battle 69 years after it happened. Fifty high school juniors from San Francisco will learn of the brave men who fought and defended their country. The ship is open to the public every day. Welcome to the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN

7. SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet Member

Are you out in the bay area, slcarter? I have fond memories of visiting Jeremiah O'Brien as a kid. (Would you believe my mother came along with us on the engine room tour wearing high heels?) I'd love to see photographs or video of the reenactment, if you happen to take any.

8. ResearcherAtLarge

ResearcherAtLarge Member