Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stacking Question HOI2

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Hattius Rattius, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Hattius Rattius

Hattius Rattius recruit

Hello,
    :confused:
    I wonder if anyone could help with regard to a question about overstacking. I'm currently getting back into this game and have read the manual back to front.....however I seem to be at a loss as to why I'm getting a stacking penalty when I view the current active combats view whilst performing an air attack on polish ground forces. I don't appear to be overstacked as I am attacking with only 4 squadrons with a Lt General who can command this amount.

Also another question with regard to air units.....if I am attacking ground forces with lets say 2 squadrons of HE111 and then also have 2 squadrons of fighters in the same unit. Do the squadron of fighters protect the bombers from enemy interceptors or do they just take part in the ground attack ?

Rgds

Robert

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Thought I would answer some of these questions.

With the overstacking you need to make sure that you arn't being overstacked due to another squadron. For Example, if you have two different wings consisting of 4 squadrons each then you will get an overstacking penalty because all 8 aircraft are involved in the battle, if however you are only operating the 4 aircraft, you need to make sure that you are actually getting overstacked due to just the 4. Before you send the wing into battle, select the wing and see if the name of the general is in the red, and if it is it means he is overstacked, then if you hold the mouse over the red section it should say how many units he command.

If you have a wing organised with 2x He111 tactical bombers, and 2xMe109 interceptors assigned to a ground attack mission, all units involved in the wing will perform the ground attack mission and not as interceptors. How ever if an enemy interceptor attacks, then the 109's have a better defensive and attack ratio against the enemy interceptors. The other thing is the interceptors due to be assigned ground attack roles will not get the certain bonus's that other interceptors would get if assigned intercept missions.

Think of it as Me109's assigned to a ground attack role will have heavy cannons, and bombs or rockets under the wings and will not be as good in a dog fight, however if a Me109 is solely responsible for cover for those forces then they will not have any of the ground attack weapons and therefore will be better at intercepting.

Make any sense?