Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Staff Sergeant Andrew Miller, Medal of Honor Recipient

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Obergefreiter, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

By coincidence, I found out that Staff Sergeant Andrew Miller from Company G, 377th Infantry, 95th Infantry Division, got killed in action in the outskirts of the town where I live and where my family lived for generations.

Staff Sergeant Miller must have been a very brave man, showing above-average courage in a series of engagements during November 1944, until his death on November 29, 1944. He was awarded posthumously with the Medal of Honor on September 1, 1945.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

3. Obergefreiter

Obergefreiter Member

Thank You for the link! St. Avold is not very far from here, although I've never been there. I will visit the cemetery soon and look for the grave of Sergeant Miller - and of General George S. Patton who is also buried there.

4. Natman

Natman Member

Obergefreiter, could you give me the name of another town near Kerprich Hemmersdorf? I can't seem to find it on Google Earth? My Dad's unit, 607th Tank Destroyer Bn, was attached to the 95th ID during the dates mentioned in SSgt Miller's Wiki entry. I'm always interested in any info about places he may have passed thru. Thanks!

5. Yurko

Yurko recruit

Andrew Miller was born in Manitowoc, WI (also my birth place)

I was humbled & honored last night at the Disabled American Veterans meeting last night. I was elected Commander of the Andrew Miller Chapter 24 of the DAV.

Being elected to lead this chapter, I felt one of my first duties was to do research on Andrew & find out why our chapter was named after him.

It appears that he was indeed a very brave soldier.

Biak and Slipdigit like this.
  6. Yurko

Yurko recruit

Obergefreiter

If you find the grave could you please photograph it & email the picture to me?
    thank you very much

jeff*jbabcock.net (replace "*" by "@")

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's indeed quite an honor, I'm sure you accomplished your task with pride.

Ps: I took the liberty to slightly alter your email to avoid spambots from catching it

8. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

[​IMG]

(L to R) Sgt. David Shulz, Staff Sgt. Daryl Lee and Staff Sgt. Warren Evans, members of the 95th Training Division's prestigious Staff Sgt. Andrew Miller Club, post next to the grave of the Club's namesake. Staff Sgt. Miller was awarded a posthumous Medal of Honor for heroism on the battlefield during the Division's drive toward Metz. The three Soldiers served as members of the Color Guard during commemorative ceremonies in France." Photo by Sgt. 1st. Class Erik

Original Iron Men Revisit the Battle of Metz
    95th Infantry Division Veterans Gather for Emotional Reunion
    Compiled by the 95th Training Division Public Affairs Staff

Google Image Result for http://www.usar.army.mil/arweb/organization/commandstructure/USARC/TNG/108Tng/Commands/95th/News/PublishingImages/Color-Guard-at-SGT-Miller%27s-grave2.jpg