Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stalingrad Christmas poem

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe October 1939 to February 1943' started by Hecke, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Hecke

Hecke Active Member

This is by far the best piece in my collection,ok,one of the best.
    Its an original christmas poem written in stalingrad december 6,1942 by georg beck,wich is still missing since today:

Here is what he wrote:
    Christmas time, O feast of joy
    My heart is lifted with such happy memories,
    When the pealing of the bells in celebration
    Heralds its coming everywhere.
    How glorious it always was
    In our dear home with you, our loved ones,
    How different it is this year,
    The enemy intrudes on our peace.
    And yet the noble splendour of the flickering candles
    Shall light up this celebration for you
    While our comrades and I
    Keep watch over our loyal homeland.
    And so we shall do our duty
    Steered by the Führer’s mighty hand
    And we promise solemnly and will not rest
    Until we have fought for the Fatherland’s victory.
    Then Christmas will seem to us to rise up like new
    More beautiful than in former times
    When we meet again in victory
    In the glory of lasting peace.
    img1307.jpg

2. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

That »poem« is blasphemy. Pure blasphemy: Christmas is celebration of the birth of the Lord’s son, not the Murderer-from-Braunau.

This mass murderer pretends to be an honorable man, after taking place in a slaughter that 6th army committed since June 1941 until their final destination at Stalingrad. They’ve murdered children, mothers, elderly unarmed prisoners. They burnt homes, they’ve deprived population from food and let them starve to death. To the last day they’ve been seeking Jews in ruins of Stalingrad. They have left a bloodbath behind them and at the end, faced with dire destiny they are celebrating Christmas.

His Christmas is a very different Christmas where the Führer substituted Christ. Note, in his »poem« this individual replaces Christ with the Führer.

Stalingrad was well deserved sacred justice.

Russians were indeed too gentle – this »poem« is yet another proof.

3. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

That man believed he was an honorable man, a patriot defending his country against foreign aggression.
    Because of that, and because he was a German he was able to maintain high morale even in that absolutely desperate situation.
    What you wrote is not history but ideology, and you can't understand history with ideology.

btw German soldiers encircled at Stalingrad truly celebrated the birth of the Lord’s son and not of their leader:

"On the evening before the Holy Day, in a hut which was still fairly intact, eleven soldiers celebrated in quiet worship. It was not easy to find them in the herd of the doubting, hopeless, and disappointed. But those I found came happily and with a glad and open heart. it was a strange congregation which assembled to celebrate the birthday of the Christ-child. There are many altars in the wide world, but surely none poorer than ours here. Yesterday the box still held anti-aircraft shells; today my hand spread over it the field-grey tunic of a comrade whose eyes I closed last Friday in this very room. I wrote to his wife a letter of consolation. May God protect her."

"I read my boys the Christmas story according to the Gospel of Luke, chapter 2, verses 1-17; gave them hard black bread as the holy sacrifice and sacrament of the altar, the true body of our Lord Jesus Christ, and entreated the Lord to have pity on them and to them grace. I did not say anything about the fifth commandment (Thou shalt not kill). The men sat on footstools and looked up to me from large eyes in their starved faces. They were all young, except one, who was 51. I am very happy that I was permitted to console their hearts and give them courage. When it was over, we shook each other's hands, took down addresses, and promised to look up relatives and tell them about our Christmas Eve celebration in 1942, in case one of should return home alive."

"During the past weeks all of us have begun to think about the end of everything. The insignificance of everyday life pales against this, and we have never been more grateful for the Christmas Gospel than in these hours of hardship. Deep in one's heart one lives with the idea of Christmas, the meaning of Christmas. It is a feast of love, salvation and pity on mankind. We have nothing else here but the thought of Christmas. It must and will tide us over grievous hours... However hard it may be, we shall do our utmost to master fate and try everything in our power to defeat the sub-humanity that is wildly attacking us. Nothing can shake our belief in victory, for we must win, if Germany wants to live..."

"I have not received any mail from you for some time... there is a terrible longing for some dear words from home at Christmas, but there are more important things at present. We are men who know how to bear everything. The main thing is that you and the children are all right. Don't worry about me; nothing can happen to me any longer. Today I have made my peace with God... I give you all my love and a thousand kisses - I love you to my last breath. Affectionate kisses for the children. Be dear children and remember your father."

"Dear Maria, you must not be angry now because I cannot come on leave. I often think of our house and our little Luise. I wonder if she can laugh already. Do you have a beautiful Christmas tree? We are supposed to get one also, if we don't move into other quarters. But I don't want to write too much about things here, otherwise you'll cry... Sometimes I am afraid we will not see each other again. Heiner from Krefeld told me that a man must not write this; it only frightens his relatives. But what if it's true!""

4. Tamino

OMG.
    As usual, you just write without reading first. Read that "poem" first, then think and then preach. You're a disgrace to literates.
    These "soldiers" have committed 27,000,000 murders in Soviet Union in just 4 years. That is approx. 1,227 Katyns. Now, that is about one Katyn per day. Do you comprehend that now when I express myself in Polish units?

Real Christians don't do that.

5. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Did the soldiers at Stalingrad murder 27,000,000 people, or maybe the Wehrmacht did that?

Do you know that frontline soldiers rarely saw any civilians? Because civilians generally avoided battlefields and even the inefficient and inept Soviets usually evacuated their civilians from the vicinity of the battlefield.

btw both German and Soviet soldiers were quartered at my family house for some time. And both were nice and friendly people although obviously mentally destroyed by the war.
    The only difference was the Soviets stole more.

6. Tamino

You haven't read that "poem" yet. Shame on you.
    Now you're changing the subject. That's sleazy. Now, let's stay of-topic for a while as you spoke of stealing:

Poland has plundered massively:
    Poles stole East Prussia, Silesia and Pomerania from Germans.
    Poles stole massive territories from Soviet Union. Fortunately Soviets were able to regain everything Poles stole from them.
    Poles have participated in Munich Betrayal. Fortunately, Soviets helped Czechs to recover what Poles stole from them after the Munich Betrayal.
    Shall we go further about stealing?

Please, first sweep at your own doorstep.

7. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

I see nothing unusual in that poem, it shows a typical mindset of a German, such poetry could easily have been written by a Russian or maybe even a British soldier.

btw East Prussia, Silesia, and Pomerania were (forcibly) given to the Poles by the Allies, who simultaneously forcibly confiscated other Polish lands. As result Poland lost 20 percent of her territory (pre-war: 387,000 km² post-war: 312,696 km²).
    As results of Allies' political intrigues, Poland lost independence in 1945 and became a Soviet puppet state for the next 44 years.

Poles stole massive territories from Soviet Union - before Poland was partitioned between Russia, Prussia, Austria (and lost her freedom for 123 years) Poland was about 522 200 km². So after the Great War Poland lost 35 percent of her territory.
    The Soviet genocide was mostly committed on former Polish lands and against former Polish citizens, this includes The Holodomor (4 million victims) and the Polish operation of the NKVD (110,000). Against people Poland wasn't able to defend from the genocidal Soviets.

Poles have participated in Munich Betrayal - Poland wasn't even invited to Munich, despite numerous British promises.
    But still, the British didn't forget their promises and returned to Poland a tiny, populated by Poles, annexed earlier by the Czechs Polish territory. See Munich Pact: Declaration and the resulting First Vienna Arbitration.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. Tamino

Christmass Islands.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]