Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stamps and war captivity

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Matze80, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Matze80

Matze80 New Member

Hello all,

I'm currently investigating the war fate of my German grandfather who died some years ago.
    I have his old pay book available which helps me as a first guideline.

I know from his own reports that at the end of WW2, he and his unit (Heeres-Sturmartillerie-Brigade 239) were stationed near Linz / Austria. After the war was over, he was dismissed by his officer in charge (entry in the pay book) and then walked home all the way back to his home village near Nuremberg (Bavaria) / Germany. During his march he was captured by some US army troops but he could escape. Some month later he was requested (as probaby all soldiers that we're lucky to have survived) to register in Ansbach / Germany (reason unknown).

Showing up there, he was arrested and transferred to Belgium where he was kept in war captivity till November 1947.

My questions now are:
    1) There are some US stamps in the pay book (see attachment): What exactly do the mean?
    The first one is "Counter Intelligence Corps" (cannot read the date) and the second one "Blacklist".

2) Was is kind of normal that soldiers were taken into war captivity that way, i.e. after the war was already over? My grandfather was never told the official reason for it: He said he was confused with an officer who had the same surname. Could it be because he flew the time he was captured on his march home? I received the information from a German department that the day of war captivity was 9 May - which is not true as he went to Ansbach in August / September of that year only.

Best and thanks in advance,
    Matze

Attached Files: