Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.
  1. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

IMG_5582.JPG I apologise for not being around of late.
    This item might be of interest to naval buffs, a Starglobe - I have wanted one for a very very long time - delighted to have obtained this example. IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5641.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5639.JPG IMG_5585.JPG IMG_5586.JPG Starglobe in use.JPG

Otto and bronk7 like this.
  2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

is that a waffenamt? very nice...
    ..what year is this? can you give the price on it?

3. James Stewart

The eagle & swastika are the acceptance mark of the Navy - marking it as being their property.
    Year of production, I must be honest I am not sure.
    Price-wise, I bought this item and a navy marked from the one source, price wise I got both for a good price. To be honest it would be difficult to pick one up for less than £2,500- 3000. (I have seen them go for £5K in auctions. I waited a long time to find one.)

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

....I've researched waffenamts before..I have a collection of German militaria with one item being a CZ-27 pistol with waffenamt ...also have a Knight's Cross--had 2 of them ....this sounds unbelievable--but it's true ....
    ..the Germans were very organized and kept good records/etc
    ...the waffenamt looks like it was ''stamped'' yesterday ..some of my militaria looks like they were just made recently --the quality is very good

...I don't think I've ever heard of a starglobe..I like it!! ...thanks-I have something new to research

5. James Stewart

Used in Celestial navigation, the circular slide rule in the hands of the other officer was used in conjunction with it. ( The one I have came from France 2 years ago - saw it at a fair and contacted the seller when I got home).
    Attached some information from Eduardo Delgrado's book on Kriegsmarine items. There would have been a domed cover for the globe but sadly it parted company a long time ago. ( See photos).
    The second example from "Torpedos Los" by Gordon Williamson.
    I have only seen one other "in the flesh", it belonged to a friend in Scotland but the glode had received a knock or two in its lifetime.
    You raise a fair point , I wonder of the makers records still exist ?

IMG_5718.JPG IMG_5714.JPG IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5716.JPG IMG_5717.JPG IMG_5720.JPG IMG_5719.JPG

Kai-Petri and bronk7 like this.
  6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..very interesting.....gets down to real/realism/realistic everyday stuff.....a lot of people think in unrealistic terms....like when they see sub movies/etc

7. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Fantastic piece. If I saw it for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat. Rich A. in Pa.