Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

stielgranate 24 TNT info

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Scavs, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Scavs

Scavs Member

What exactly explosives were used in the granades, and how much was it in the granade ( weight) ?
    Thanks

edit: Oh i am sorry this should be probably asked on Information Requests

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

3. Scavs

Scavs Member

Thank you.
    So its 170 grams of explosive, now i only have to find the specific name of it.

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

A Internet source say that this mixture was in it : Nitric, phosphorous, sulfur, potassium nitrate and charcoal. But don´t know if this is correct.

5. Scavs

Scavs Member

May i have this Internet source ?

6. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

No prob, here it is but only in German. The last sentence is what i have translated.

Stielgranate

7. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Sounds like black powder/gunpowder to me GJ?
    I've read of some suggestion of late war use thereof, but most just say TNT.

Having a Google for German WW2 variants/brands of TNT is quite tricky... Like everything else it's more varied than one first thought isn't it.

~A

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes, you´re correct, the most say it is TNT. And for the reason that the Stielhandgranate 24 was in use in WW1 too, i would say that this is the recipe of the first ones. And according to the "Waffen Revue" were the WW1 handgrenades indeed filled with BP. There are so many variants of TNT out there that you won´t find "the" TNT. A interesting variant of the Stielhandgranate is the " Behelfshandgranate" made only for the Luftwaffe at the end of the war. It was looking like the Handgranate 24 but was made completely from wood and has a "Bohrpatrone 28" as a explosive charge. This contains 100gr of TNT and sometimes the made 2 grenades out of one Bohrpatrone 28. It was thought for trainin purposes but the were used in battles too.

9. harolds

harolds Member

My old "friend", Ian Hogg puts the filling of the Steilhandgranate 39 as 7oz of TNT.

For comparison, the USA's frag granade Mk 11A1 had 3/4 oz of Blank Fire Powder. The British Mills Bomb had 2.5 oz of Baratol, AND the Soviet F-1 frag grenade had 1.6 oz of TNT!