Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by GRW, Dec 27, 2012.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"Retired General H. Norman Schwarzkopf, who commanded the U.S.-led international coalition that drove Saddam Hussein's forces out of Kuwait in 1991, has died.
    The 78-year-old succumbed to complications from pneumonia on Thursday in Tampa, Florida, where he lived in retirement.
    His large personality and public prominence during the nation's first live-broadcast war made him the the most recognizable, and acclaimed, military commander since Dwight Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur.
    A much-decorated combat soldier in Vietnam, Schwarzkopf was known popularly as 'Stormin' Norman' for his notoriously explosive temper.
    During the 1991 Persian Gulf War, he became the public face of the coalition troops who ousted Saddam Hussein's forces from Kuwait.
    He was also the mastermind behind the mechanics of Operations Desert Storm, co-authoring the official strategy of the defense of Saudi Arabia, as well as the combat operations in Kuwait and Iraq.
    He was offered the job of Chief of Staff - the top position in the U.S. Army - but turned it down. He retired from active duty in August 1991 - just six moths after the conclusion of the war.
    He lived in retirement in Tampa, where he had served in his last military assignment as commander-in-chief of U.S. Central Command. That is the headquarters responsible for U.S. military and security concerns in nearly 20 countries from the eastern Mediterranean and Africa to Pakistan.
    Schwarzkopf became Commander-in-Chief of 'CENTCOM' in 1988 and when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait three years later to punish it for allegedly stealing Iraqi oil reserves, he commanded Operation Desert Storm, the coalition of some 30 countries organized by then-President George H.W. Bush that succeeded in driving the Iraqis out.
    At the peak of his postwar national celebrity, Schwarzkopf - a self-proclaimed political independent - rejected suggestions that he run for office, and remained far more private than other generals, although he did serve briefly as a military commentator for NBC."
    General Norman Schwarzkopf who led troops in Persian Gulf War dies age 78 | Mail Online

980th, gunbunnyb/3/75FA and Norseman like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

RIP :poppy::poppy:

3. 36thID

36thID Member

RIP...

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

He kicked ass . May he rest in peace :poppy:

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

He was a figure you did not forget,ever. R.I.P. Norman! :(

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

:poppy:

I've been 'off the grid' for a few days and just saw this - Damn!
    One of the few books I've ever paid full price for was "It Doesn't Take A Hero"; The biography of Norman Schwarzkopf. Time to take it off the shelve again.

Rest In Peace Sir

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Always liked this: Ha. As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that, I want you to know he is a great military man, I want you to know that.

gunbunnyb/3/75FA likes this.
  9. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

RIP sir.12 gun salute!

10. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

He will be remembered and honored by all Americans, and time.

[​IMG]

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

He's going where everybody knows his name, eh, Clint?

Be at peace, General. :S!

12. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

Well said, Sir! I could not agree more.

13. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

One of the best one of the last...He won't just be remembered by Americans Clint...He was much admired by many of us around the world..

14. Owen

Owen O

I remember he did an interview on Radio1 with Steve Wright In The Afternoon back in late '91 or maybe '92.
    Sounded a really great bloke.

15. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I always admired General Schwarzkopf.

Have any of you read General Hal Moore's book "We Were Soldiers"? There's a few Schwarzkopf references. Here is one them (exact wording not from the book, but courtesy of a 1991 LA Times article).

"On another, his profanity could have melted the radio when he had helicopters overhead carrying VIPs but couldn't get any of them to pick up a badly wounded soldier."