Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Strange picture of a Tiger 2 i found

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Svdkfz184_Ferdinand, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Svdkfz184_Ferdinand

Svdkfz184_Ferdinand New Member

I have searched for a long time and NEVER seen one of this trust me Ive seen TONS of KO tigers/german tanks and the closest Ive seen to this (if it really did go inside the turret) was a king tiger of the 509th, number 231.

It was half sunken into the ground (barrel facing litterally 50% upwards, just search "231 tiger 509" in google images and it will come up) It appears to be pretty new as the track armor on turret and the whitewash is still fresh.

Yet still the barrel "fat part" is a good 3 inches from being inside the turret and even so, the gun is facing strait up.

2. m kenny

m kenny Member

This is not an important point for me so my last word.
    The Tiger has had its gun forced inside the turret. I have seen hundreds of Tiger wrecks and that includes every single one photographed in the West 1944-45.
    I have seen several Tigers in such a state. Not all with the same anmount of recoil but enough for me to say with 100% certainty this is NOT a 75mm gun in a Tiger II.
    This '75mm' Tiger II has featured on a number of forums over the years and no matter how many times it is explained it still keeps popping back up.

George Patton and von Poop like this.
  3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

OK, let's look at it another way.

A virtually factory-fresh machine goes into action on March 23rd and is knocked out on the 28th, according to known documentation.

So - in 5 days, it has had a 75mm gun field-fitted and made ready for combat.

That's quite an achievement.

von Poop likes this.
  4. Svdkfz184_Ferdinand

I looked for these forums before posting this. Couldn't find any so thats why i posted this. If you could, please give me links to these forums. Thanks.

5. Svdkfz184_Ferdinand

That would be pretty awesome if it really was. Maby some late war prototype was made (who knows theres tons of sht the germans made we have no clue about) and they fit it in there to test it for combat. Maby the documents were burned, who knows.

6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Why go to the trouble of putting a lower-powered 75mm gun on a Tiger II? I can't see any reason for it unless no 88mm's were available. Its not just a matter of dropping the new gun assembly into the turret though, so it would take time and considerable effort.

I'd listen to what mkenny, Von Poop and Martin Bull have to say and take their word for it. These guys know what they're talking about.

7. m kenny

m kenny Member

8. Martin Bull

Well, look - if someone's really keen on an idea, it's obvious that no amount of discussion here is going to make any difference.

Best of luck with the model - be sure to post some pics here........

9. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

I agree with George Patton. It may have to do with a shortage of 88mm's, but putting on a lower powered gun on a high powered and very strong tank seems to 'downgrade' the tank lessening its fire power.
    Still it's an intriguing photo though.

10. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

:headbonk:

11. Martin Bull

Wonder how the model's coming on................................................................................................................? :eatpopcorn:

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I liked the whooshing noise in post #25 best.