Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Submarine warfare and operations in the Pacific Theater

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by L-Raiser, Aug 27, 2018.

1. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for books about submarine operations in the Pacific.
    Can anyone recommend a few titles?

Thanks.

2. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Silent Victory, the U.S. submarine war against Japan. By Clay Blair Jr. Look it up, I never read it myself, but it seemed to get the best reviews that I saw among that topic. Perhaps someone else can recommend one that they have read.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

What are you looking for?
    Design & construction
    General perspective
    Individual boat histories
    Captain bios & autobios

4. Takao

Takao Ace

It is one of the "go to" sources.
    I've read both volumes three times...Never gets old.

5. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

"Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine"
    "Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang"

Both books by RAdm. Richard H. O'Kane (exec on Wahoo, commander of Tang) and are both outstanding.

Concur with recommendations above for "Silent Victory"

6. Takao

Takao Ace

United States

Design & Construction:

"U.S. Submarines through 1945: An Illustrated Design History" by Norman Friedman
    "The Fleet Submarine in the U.S. Navy: A Design and Construction History" by John D. Alden

General Overview of US submarines in the Pacific:
    "Silent Victory: The U.S. submarine war against Japan", by Clay Blair Jr.
    "United States Submarine Operations in World War II" by Theodore Roscoe (Also republished in paperbacks as "Pig Boats: The True Story of the Fighting Submarines of World War II")----PS Dated, but still a good overview
    "Sink 'Em All: Submarine Warfare in the Pacific" By Charles A. Lockwood
    "War Beneath the Sea" by Peter Padfield (NOT a fan of Admiral Ernest King, and it shows here)
    "Subs Against the Rising Sun" by Keith M. Milton
    "Wolfpack: The American Submarine Strategy That Helped Defeat Japan" by Steven Trent Smith (Mind you, wolfpacks only comprised about 1/3rd of US war patrols during 1944-45)
    "The Silent Service in World War II" by Michael Green
    "The Depths of Courage: American Submariners at War with Japan, 1941—1945" by Flint Whitlock and Ron Smith

Individual Boats or Operations

"Red Scorpion: The War Patrols of the USS Rasher" by Peter T. Sasgen
    "Find 'Em, Chase 'Em, Sink 'Em: The Mysterious Loss of the World War II Submarine USS Gudgeon" by Mike Ostlund
    "The USS Puffer in World War II: A History of the Submarine and It's Wartime Crew" by Craig R. McDonald
    "In the Course of Duty: The Heroic Mission of the USS Batfish" by Don Keith
    "Batfish: The Champion ‘Submarine Killer’ Submarine of World War II" by Hughston E. Lowder with Jack Scott
    "Bowfin" by Edwin P. Hoyt
    "Cruisers For Breakfast: War Patrols of the USS Darter and USS Dace" by John G. Mansfield
    "Final Dive: The Gallant and Tragic Career of the WWII Submarine, USS Snook" by Rick Cline
    "Guerrilla Submarines" by By Captain Edward Dissette, USN (Ret.) and Colonel Hans Christian Adamson, USAF (Ret.). (Focuses on the submarine operations that aided the Philippine guerrillas fighting the Japanese)
    "Hellcats of the Sea" by Charles A. Lockwood and Hans Christian Adamson (Operation Barney)
    "Submarine Grayback: The Life and Death of the World War II sub USS Grayback" by Rick Cline
    "USS Seawolf: Submarine Raider of the Pacific" by Gerold Frank, James D. Horan, and Joseph M. Eckberg

Captain Bios & Autobios:

"Shinano: The Sinking of Japan's Secret Supership" by Captain Joesph F. Enright & James E. Ryan
    "Silent Running: My Years on a World War II Attack Submarine" by Vice Admiral James F. Calvert
    "Submarine Commander" by Paul R. Schratz (Excellent book!)
    "Submarine!" by Commander Edward L. Beach (intertwines his story with other famous submarines)
    "Take Her Deep: A Submarine Against Japan in World War II" by Admiral I.J. Galantin
    "Thunder Below: The USS Barb Revolutionizes Submarine Warfare in World War II" by Admiral Eugene B. Fluckey

More to come...

L-Raiser likes this.
  7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]

Outside Darwin’s harbour, a Japanese submarine still lies with her 80-man crew on board. Sunk 75 years ago this month, on 20 January 1942, she is part of the lesser known history of the assaults on northern Australia. The aircraft carriers of the famous February 1942 strike were not the first attack on Australia. They were the second strike – the first attempt to close down the northern port was made a month earlier with a submarine squadron.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Just for you CAC
    museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/sites/default/files/no._043_japanese_sub_i124.pdf

CAC likes this.
  9. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Sorry guys,

Started my vacation and completely forgot about this thread...
    I think Takao gave a very comprehensive and complete response. Thank you very much. I'm going to investigate these titles.

Cheers! !