Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sunk But We Didn't Get Our Feet Wet!

Discussion in 'Merchant Navy During WWII' started by Jim, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    During the week-end of November 18--21 six neutral ships were sunk by German mines off the English coast. The largest of these was the 12.000 ton Japanese liner, “Terukuni Maru,” but in happy contrast to the tragedy of the “Simon Bolivar” all her passengers and crew were saved. The following stories are reprinted from the “Daily Telegraph” and “Daily Express.” 1939

On his arrival in London on November 21, Capt. B. Matukura, of the “Terukuni Maru,” said:

“My ship arrived at the Downs at 10 o'clock on Sunday morning, and I waited for a naval officer to come on board to give us our contraband clearance. At three o'clock that day two officers came aboard and delivered the clearance papers. On them was written: 'Hold you until northbound route is declared clear.' This was in consequence of the sinking of the “Simon Bolivar,” for ships were still sweeping mines away to give us a clear, route. I waited for the pilot to take me into London, but it was not until yesterday afternoon, about three o'clock, that two naval officers again came on board and once more gave me permission to fly the special clearance signal, and also route instructions.“

Captain Matukura is here seen telephoning from a London hotel after the disaster to his ship. It was-his proud boast that nobody even got his feet wet.

[​IMG]

“Again I waited for a pilot, and felt it was getting rather late for us to proceed from the Downs to London, as we wished, to navigate only during daytime, owing to the danger from floating mines. The pilot did not come until this morning, when, about 8 o'clock I signalled for him to come aboard. He immediately joined my ship. We left the anchorage at about half past eight, following the route as instructed. I stationed five men as special lookouts for floating mines, and steamed at my ordinary speed of 15 knots. We never saw a mine, but-at 12:53 we struck one and there was a terrific explosion, No’s, 2 and 3 holds being damaged. It was the first-class passenger’s lunch-time and three out of the total of 28 were slightly injured by the dishes striking their faces. I was standing on the bridge and was unhurt. Out of my crew of 177, only three or four were slightly injured. Including the pilot, there was a total of 206 aboard.”

“'The pilot immediately suggested to me that we should beach the ship, as we were in a narrow deep passage between two shallows. I agreed, but the explosion had been so heavy that water had come into the engine-room and we could not use the engines any more. Forty-two minutes later, at 1.35, all eight boats which I had ordered to leave the ship were away. All the passengers and crew, and even a passenger’s' pet dog were safe. I think there is no doubt that our look-out system was so good that had there been any floating mines we should have seen them, and it must have been an anchored mine which we struck. The weather was calm and visibility good. Nobody panicked, and when I left the ship, the last to do so, everyone was safely in the boats.”

Here the stern of the mined liner is seen a few minutes before she sank. She went down by the bows, her stern rising high above the sea, and the propellers are already out of water. One of the ship's lifeboats on the left, is still alongside, while on the right are boats that have come out from the shore and taken off some of the passengers.

[​IMG]

Mrs. Helen Swailes, wife of a chief petty officer, who lives in Aberdare, said:

“I was pacing the deck with my dog Nutty, thinking that if we were struck I was at least safe on the upper deck, when there was a shattering explosion in the forward part of the ship. Nutty jumped and yapped with excitement. We were immediately ordered to our stations: There was no panic whatever. The oldest British passenger on board, Mrs. Huntley, aged 70, was magnificent. To all the passengers she said, ' We must remain calm.' While she was waiting to enter a lifeboat she carefully adjusted her hair. Major Ferguson, who had come from Singapore, asked me where my lifebelt was. I said, ‘It, is below, in my cabin.’ He rushed downstairs and forced his way into a water-logged cabin and got one for me. “

“Nutty was the first to leap into the lifeboat. We were under the care of a Japanese coxswain. I shall never forget that man's behaviour. Although blood was streaming down his face, he gave all his orders quietly and calmly. Within a few minutes we were taken aboard a drifter. The crew gave us rum and coffee. Nutty wagged his tail in delight when he was given some meat.”

Every British sailor will pay tribute to the captain, officers and crew of the “Terukuni Maru” for having maintained the highest traditions of the sea when their ship, bound for London and so close to her destination that the pilot was on board, struck a mine and sank. It was instantly obvious when the explosion occurred that passengers and crew must take to the boats, but there was not a suggestion of disorderly scramble. As can be seen in this photograph, the boat's crews lined up as if they were at boat drill before going to their stations.

[​IMG]

“Among those injured was a member of the Japanese Embassy. As he passed me on a stretcher he smiled and said, ‘I am so sorry, madam.’ Mr. Whiteway, of the Colonial Office, was also injured. Twenty-five minutes after the liner was struck every boat was clear of the wreck.' We watched her heel over on her side.”

Kawasima, junior second engineer, said: “The explosion flung me into the air about a foot and knocked me over. The whole time the captain stood on the bridge while the stern of the ship rose in the air and the bows went beneath the water, until the sea lapped the foot of the bridge. Fuel oil flowed all over the engine room, and sea water began to pour in. I' just had time to go to my cabin and grab my overcoat and a few belongings before getting into one of the boats. The sea was quite calm.”

The lifeboats of the “Terukuni Maru” were lowered with commendable promptitude, for when a sinking ship has a pronounced list to ether side the launching of them becomes extremely difficult, or even impossible. Here it has been successfully accomplished, and the boats are taking on board the last of their complement.

[​IMG]