Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sunk warships have gone missing.

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Takao

Takao Ace

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Aye, I saw that. Don;t understand how they got away with it undetected, even allowing for the vastness of the sea.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

This mouse is boycotting the clinton news network.

Wouldn't that metal be very valuable (even after recovery)- would they melt it all or were they also going for artifacts as well?
    Would the metal be more valuable because of when it was made- more pure?

edit- Is this the first thread created by MrT?...1st i've seen. but i don't get out much.

2nd edit: MrT's head may explode when he realizes he shares the same nick name as the next president.
    How will we ever discern betwixt the two's?

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Steel the predated the atomic explosions has some extra value. I seam to recall that's one of the reasons the High Seas Fleet was salvaged. I'm not sure an illegal salvage operation could benefit from this though. If they were just after artifacts I'm not sure they would salvage the entire wrecks. Makes me wonder about some of the others.

5. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

The uncontaminated steels and alloys brought up from Scapa were in quite small quantities IIRC, they weren't salving whole ships like this.

It's the sheer scale of the thing - EITHER whole wrecks were somehow brought up....um, no...

....or else they were at it for months if not actually years.

I wonder - has anyone actually thought to look at GoogleEarth??? The OH's old car still shows up on it, parked outside her old house - and that's at least four years ago! An operation as big as this must have been will have had salvage barges, cranes etc. there for a very very long time.