Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

*Swing Kids*

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by David Scott, Sep 20, 2011.

1. David Scott

David Scott Member

Swing Kids is a must see for all interested in events leading to WWII in the Third Reich. It’s a fictionalized account set against the factual backdrop of youth resistance in Hamburg, Germany’s largest port, to the Nazi cultural dictatorship and, in some cases, its political dictates as well.

The movie takes awhile to hit its stride, but the largely “no-name” cast acquit themselves well in presenting this object lesson of the corruption of youth by a ruthless dictatorship. Many of the kids involved in this movement were merely kids enamored with American big band era music proscribed by the regime as an example of “Jewish and Negro decadence.”

Others, however, were all too rare examples of the “nobility of youth" whose consciences refused to allow them to participate in the inhumane and often murderous policies of a nation seemingly gone mad under the persuasion of a malevolent political movement headed by a deranged megalomaniac. Such youngsters faced persecution that American anti-Vietnam War protesters couldn’t even have imagined.

It was a time of conflicting loyalties when even passionately close friendships and blood ties were sorely tested; a time when even many naturally good-natured youths were unable to resist the corruption of relentless propaganda and extreme pressure to conform to a culture alien to their natures. Thus, it serves as a timeless cautionary tale.

The director chose to forgo hokey German accents or subtitles largely in favor of American English. Although this seems incongruous at first, with time such is forgotten as one is absorbed into the context of the story which transitions through fear to outright horror and culminates with a poignancy worthy of a Rod Serling script. Profanity and sexual themes are surprisingly sparse and for all those who enjoy big band era music, you will not be disappointed. The choreography is magnificently staged and a delight to behold.

It is gratifying to know that the youngster that William L. Shirer once encountered in a Berlin Park (the account of which I related on another thread) was not unique. Indeed, perhaps even in the worst of times, there is hope for us all.

Swing Kids is currently available for viewing online, though I am uncertain of copyright considerations.

2. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

As you have found there is some interest in swing era culture of the youth and I find it interesting as well. I will point out that you can find that there has been enough interest that enough money can be made that a German has been able to put together a "swing band" or "Big Band" and book it across the country as well as international venues. I don't know of many instrumental bands that enjoy such success that they continue to exist in our musical products. You must go to U Tube and see the "Palaste Orchester" or "Max Raabe" who is the leader of this new band and its new but old sounds with his very German application with German songs and many newer American songs as well. No mistaking the Wermacht sound of this bands abilities with certain songs.

3. David Scott

David Scott Member

Thank you, Victor, for the reference to Max Raabe and his orchestra which I was previously unfamiliar with. I particularly enjoyed their rendition of the Irving Berlin standard “Cheek to Cheek,” one of my favorites from that era. Here’s the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNBxJMg28OQ&feature=related

I recall loving the song watching Desi Arnaz singing it to Lucy while dancing together on their television show..

Best,

Dave

4. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

"Swing Heil"!!! Haven't seen that movie in years. Good flick as I remember it.

When I was in highschool, a freind of mine tried to get me to join the small swing dance club they had at the school. Of course, my laziness and my fear of being hassled by my buddies made me not do it. Although, looking back, I was a real idiot not to join. I would have been the only guy in the group. Might have gotten a date out of it!

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A bit more than that too..."This one time, at band camp..." : )

6. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I certainly hope the many Rogues that frequent the forum look up some of Max Raabe's music most available on U Tube because Dave, Ulithi, and myself and a few others appreciate the sounds. Who would think that there would ever be again a big band or swing band put together that could do justice to the old favored melodies and become as popular as this group has become....getting booked at some of our cities biggest venues. Ulithi, I played an instrument but didn't really have the skills.....so people are probably happy I gave that up but it gave me an appreciation for the Big Band sounds and the Swing Bands as well. I played the link, "Cheek to Cheek" Max Raabe sings.... from the link you(Dave) provided and it was great. Each time I go to U Tube, I find more and more posted from this group that was not there before. To me, it is amazing.

7. Duns Scotus

Duns Scotus Member

The Nazis sed swing music bands for propaganda purposes bt amended many swing tune lyrics with AntiSemite messages. Iknow this becaue about ten years ago BBC radio here in the UK did a programme using these bogus bands -one of themost popular of which was a Dutch collaborationist band.
    Coleman Hawkins-the great Afro-American sax player was refuded admission to Nazi Germany while on a European tour being turned back in 1938 at the Dutch-German border.