Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sword Beach to Bremen., A Veterans tale. Sapper

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by sapper, Sep 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

Sapper,

Thanks for regaling us with your tales. It has been truly eye opening.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Brian :

again a hearty thank you for your service, and your brothers in arms that gave it all from the Beaches right until the end on VE Day ......... I for one very much appreciate your thoughts of one whom was there.

stay healthy and my very best to you

Erich ~

3. E. Campbell

E. Campbell Member

Sapper, Wonderful poem. I was talking with my father (E.A. Campbell, Lancaster Bomber 514 Squadron) and we realized that not only are you two sharing space on this forum as veterans, but on the morning of June 6, 1944 you were both at Sword Beach. Dad's log book shows "Ouistreham - DDay"
    D-Day E.A. Campbell

Regards, Wayne Campbell

4. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Mr. Guy, you are very gifted at letting us see through your eyes and feel what you were feeling - just as your poetry evokes an emotional response.

Your poem asks:
    Who will ring the Bell of Freedoms song?
    When we are gone? When we are gone?

Those of us here will ring the bell and will hopefully have taught our own that their freedoms come with the responsibility to uphold them as you did in your time.

5. steve oz

steve oz Member

Sapper,
    Many thanks for your wonderful tales from Sword onward.
    My grandfather was a despatch rider with East Riding Yeomanry (ERY) also landing and fighting with tanks on sword beach , i have a copy of his diary kept daily from D to D + 20 including the battle for Caen etc . His diary entries are similar to your tales in that you men showed unbeleivable courage and fighting spirit and amongst all this still a sense of humuor.
    Thanks for sharing as the youger generation would never know and could never understand or appreciate without being told by those that are willing to share.

Steve Oz

6. sapper

sapper British Normandy Veteran, Royal Engineers

The pity of it is that these events that I write about are so common place. What interest there would be if we could get some of the braver men to write about their experiences.... But sadly there are not many in their 80s that can deal with computers, and are willing to recall, and write about those times.

When the Veterans are amongst themselves, they do open up and natter about some of the great deeds and battles... BUT Not amongst Non vets. Why? Well the main reason is that so much of what happens is so "Way Out" that it is difficult for those without the experience, to come to terms with what seems to be the days of legends.
    If I dare use that term?
    So it is seldom that the Vets will talk openly. Only amongst their kin. Believe me,That is a crying ashame, For I know what great things some men did.
    Sapper

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Steve, Welcome to the forum and thanks for your kind reply to Sapper.

Would you be interested and able to post any or all of the diary here in another thread? We would all find it interesting to read.

8. sapper

A little bit of recorded history!
    June the 9th 10th. 1 Platoon attempted repair of the Pegasus bridge class 40 ferry damage by shell fire. 2 platoon (us) took over the task and completed it, despite enemy shelling, and interference from enemy aircraft.
    3 platoon cleared Colleville of derelict vehicles, and surveyed all marked mine fields between Collevillie and Ouistreham. All fields were found to be Dummy except those around the battery position at Ouistreham.
    These were charted, but not lifted.

June 12th. A class 40 route was prepared between the class 40 Orne canal and the Orne River. A tank turning area was made. Orders received in the evening to complete a 40 foot Bailey bridge and the task was finished by first light.
    More tea Vicar?
    Sapper

9. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Hello Brian,

Thank you so very much for sharing your wartime experiences with the people on this forum. Your first hand observations of the smaller, yet important things that one commonly undergoes in wartime, like rations, weather, wet feet and the emotions that one endures are always endlessly interesting to me. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and hope to do so for many years to come. I pray that you are well!

Best Wishes,

John.

10. sapper

Thank you John.
    Though I must admit this old buzzard is showing his years. Definitely a bit ragged round the edges.

Down at the Tank museum (Bovington) is the last of the D Day tanks. DD (duplex drive) tanks, Swimming tanks... I notice some time ago that the tanks skirt was frayed and ragged ...I thought at the time.... Just like me mate!
    Sapper

11. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

I FOUND THAT STORY VERY INTERESTING AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY FROM NORMANDY TO BREMEN

STURM TRUPPEN

12. Slipdigit

Well, there are 27 pages of his posts right here. I think he covered it pretty well.

13. sapper

Hi.
    What is contained in the pages posted here, is pretty much the story of a very ordinary young man back in WW2.

If there is anything that you are not sure of? I will attempt to answer your query.
    Best Wishes.
    Sapper

14. hamburg

hamburg Member

Is it still possible to reach that site?

15. sapper

Hi Hamburg.
    Look for "Battle for Europe" on this site. The first one you will find in that catagory is "Cameos of War" That is quite a long story of an ordinary young Sappers experiences in NW Europe,(Normandy onwards)

I tried the link provided, and it did not work. Though the whole story is still all there.
    Cheers Sapper

16. sapper

My pleasure indeed Jack. The purpose of these postings is the same one I have been harping on about for far too long. That it serves the purpose of reminding the younger folk of the sacrifices made, that they may enjoy life.... As do I.
    Cheers Jack
    Brian

17. sapper

The odd things that happen in war. In a Sister RE Field Company. The war diaries posted one sapper as awol on active service. A very serious crime while on active service. And one that he could have been shot for.

They looked for him, but never found him. periodically he was reported as "still missing" this went on for some time over a period of months. It appeared that they thought he would report back. There were reports that he had been seen.

It was some time later that they found that he had not gone missing...He had been killed. No one knew it, The reports of his AWOL still remain in the war diaries.
    Sapper

18. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

sapper
    i am interested in reading your tale from sword beach to bremen please pm me with parts of your story

19. Slipdigit

20. Quis Separabit

Quis Separabit Member

Hi Sapper

I've stumbled across your pages by accident whilst researching some of my dad's wartime experiences with 2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles and managed to spend the past few hours reading it end to end (I'm supposed to be working from home but never mind!).

My dad never spoke about the war (with the exception of a few non-combat related stories) and I know he lost alot of good friends. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago and I only found out about some of his exploits from my mum (from Hawick where he was stationed) and who was in the RAMC (I think she was sworn in at Bovington?).

My dad (Martin Patrick Scanlon) was initially a Lieutenant in 2 RUR (D Company I think) and became a Captain with Battalion HQ at some point, ultimately becoming an acting Major responsible for a sector within occupied Germany after the end of the war (think it may have been Bremen?).

Your/your unit's travels seem to have brought you in close contact with 2 RUR at e.g. Cambes, Escaut Canal, Overloon, Bremen etc and I was wondering whether you may have met him and/or had any other memories of the battalion.

I've got copies of bits and pieces from the battalion official history but it is very fact based and "removed" from what the average soldier will have experienced.

I've geatly enjoyed/appreciated reading about your exploits which has helped to give a feel for what he went though but any further insights you can provide would be greatly welcome (aside from what you have already covered).

Many thanks.

Paul Scanlon