Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Syria war

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Skipper, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

For once I'd just like to see the proof of their statements on who released Chemical weapons.

Or are we to assume that like Colin Powells test tubes at UN, we should not question our betters...

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Made me smile, Skip - by coincidence I started a Syria poll/thread on WW2T within 2 minutes of yours.

Personally, I'm sick of messy wars & world policing.

4. urqh

Wars will always be messy while we let the pongo's do the battlefield thing...Messy bunch... Wherever the army goes, the pongo's
    Air power would leave a much tidier area...

Per Ardua Ad Astra.....or loosely translated....Where do I get a Pimms dear fellow..

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm sick of it too, we just can't afford to play cops of the world anymore.
    Funny Adam we had the same thoughts withing minutes. We must have been kidnapped by Doctor who at the same time.

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Stay the hell out of Syria.

Buten42 likes this.
  7. urqh

Yeah Von Poop...what Historian says...that'll teach you to come over here...

Oh sorry..I see he meant Syria...

8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Thanks for the grammatical reminder, old boy.

9. urqh

No Gordon...I thought you were leading us in an effort to keep Von Poop away...I'm all for it old chap...

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If they want to kill each other, let them. If anyone needs to intervene, it should be their freeloading neighbors.

Owen and urqh like this.
  11. urqh

It seems the int comes from this source according to various defense publications...I don't believe it...purely because if this monitoring is correct, then David Cameron over here would just back them up with notification that our Ayios Nik boys in Cyprus have monitored the same thing...As they are as usual monitoring everything in Mid East...I would have though specifically Syria at this time, if not why not...if so, then Dave can confirm the Isreali monitors. If not why not. Simples...I think...

http://i-hls.com/2013/08/foreign-sources-israel-obtained-proof-about-the-syrian-attack/?utm_source=activetrail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=English%20Newsletter%2028/8/2013

12. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

This is a lose-lose situation that the Obama administration has put itself into. There is no reason why the Americans have to be involved, except for that fact that the President said the use of chemical weapons is a 'red line' during the election. If the US doesn't act, the US will come off as being weak. On the other hand, if they do act, they will be providing at least some measure of support to Al-Qaeda affiliated groups. The other option is to only provide support for the non-Jihadist formations like the Salim Idris's Free Syrian Army, but this would be extremely difficult in light of the strong involvement of Jihadists.

Lobbing a few Tomahawks at government sites may be the only way to 'save face' without directly supporting these terrorist groups like the Al Nursa Front, but even then they would still be receiving immeasurable indirect support. A rebel victory in Syria will eventually happen, and after that, I have a strong feeling that these terrorist groups - battled-hardened and strengthened by AT missiles, MANPADs and other foreign-supplied weapons - will turn their attention to the west. I assume that the lack of US action sooner in Syria will exacerbate their hatred for the West.

Regardless of how the US acts, the end result is bad. I personally think that the cost of staying out of it is significantly less than the costs of being involved.

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Russia and China saying , if I heard correctly, that nothing can be done if the UN does not approve of it. I think they have Veto over decisions,right?

I saw a short clip of Russian civilians who were taken to Russia by plane and one of the women said to the reporter that there were bombings everyday ( planes?!) and people dying everywhere around where she lived.

Sad thing if it´s the good ole´ cold war period politics that decide over the future of so many innocent civilians. Seems though that the US might better stay away if Russia and China do not agree... :(

14. urqh

Personally I'm with the squadron leader...Letter to Telegraph today..

SIR – In 2003, I was a member of the team searching in vain for Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq. David Blair makes a telling statement (Comment, August 27) that “this terrible [chemical] weapon was brought from the arsenal at a moment when the war had actually swung in Assad’s favour”. Richard Spencer’s report from Damascus (August 27) states that “experts… are puzzled by which chemical was used”, ruling out both mustard gas and sarin; presumably the weapons President Bashar al-Assad is known to hold.

There are probably elements within the rebel coalition who would be prepared to sacrifice citizens to achieve their objectives. I have no wish to defend Assad, but I do hope that the same sort of cynical lies and false intelligence that led American and British forces to destroy the government, army, law enforcement and infrastructure of Iraq, will not be the agent for similar precipitate, drastic action in Syria. Accurate intelligence is vital.

If Western governments do not have better knowledge than the press suggests as to who has actually crossed Obama’s “red line”, we should all be worried about the likely consequences of intervention.

Sqn Ldr Tom Mitcham (Retd)
    Rustington, West Sussex

green slime and Skipper like this.
  15. lwd

lwd Ace

The problem with this is one of the key points, i.e.
    Seems to be open to question. From what I've read the recent gains by government forces (brought about by Iranian paided and equiped mercenaries) have been halted or even reversed. Indeed weren't the reported gas attacks made in the Damascus, that is the Syrian capital at rebel held areas? This alone suggest that things are not going well with the governments forces.
    http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/syria/articles/20130826.aspx

16. urqh

They have been fighting in Damascus for months mate. Many bases overun...We have been arming them thru Jordan for long time. Which is why they the rebels have stood so long. The rebels are certainly containing folk as bad as Hez...some from Al quieda leaning Brit groups have departed my own shores...hope they stay there and sort each other out.

17. George Patton

That's correct. There appears to be heavy fighting in the 'ring' around the capital, covering the Daraya/Douma area. I'm sure that the chemical weapons give the government a tactical victory when they are used, but it doesn't seem to help much in the strategic sense.

18. urqh

Chaps, who says defintavely the govt are using chem...they may well be...but can someone point me to where thats been proved enough to cross that red line of ours...if its found to be the rebels...will we then end all connection with them or will we just let it fade away to prove just how bothered our govts really are.

19. George Patton

I haven't seen any direct evidence, but apparently the most recent chemical weapons attacks have been deliver from the air. The Syrian AF is the only branch capable of this.

This isn't to say that the rebels haven't used them in the past.... I'm sure that they've captured chemical weapons stores over the past year, so its just a question of whether they've employed them.

20. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I will support military action only if George Osborne is the very first man on the ground, going over the top, whistle clenched between teeth.

Otherwise............................................................................................................................