Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tank Bibliography: M3/M5 Stuart light tank

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Skua, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It should be of interest to the members of this forum, including myself, to know what is available of literature on specific types of tanks and AFVs. I'll start off myself with this thread, but I strongly encourage other members to do the same. I'll write down the books I have dealing with the tank/AFV in question, with full title and the name of the author including a small comment on the book. If anyone have additional books or would like to add to the comments, please continue the thread.

Here are my books:

- 'M3 & M5 Stuart Light Tank 1940-45', Steven J. Zaloga. New Vanguard 33. Typical New Vanguard book, 46 pages, b&w photos, 8 pages of colour plates. A blend of combat and development history. Lacking depth in both regards, but what can you expect from 46 pages? Still recommended.

- 'British and American Tanks of World War Two', Peter Chamberlain and Chris Ellis. Short introduction to the M3, M5 and M8 variants given on pages 88 to 97. Recommended because it also devotes four pages to the predesessors of the Stuart, the Combat Car M1/M2 ( pages 84-85 ) and the Light tank M2 ( pages 86-87 ). Plenty of good quality b&w photos.

- 'M3-M3A1-M3A3, Stuart I to V', Jonathan Forty. Tanks in Detail 2. 92 pages, diagrams, photos in b&w and colour. Well written and detailed account of the design and development of the M3 variants. Highly recommended.

- 'Light Tank M5 & M5A1, Stuart VI & M8 HMC', Terry J. Gander. Tanks in Detail 8. 92 pages, diagrams, photos in b&w and colour. A drop in quality from Tanks in Detail 2, but still recommended.

I believe there also is an 'In Action' book devoted to the Stuart light tank, but not in my possession.

2. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If we are to include variants based on the M3 and M5 chassis:

- 'U.S. Self-Propelled Guns in Action', Jim Mesko. Armor in Action 38. Pages 22-32 are devoted to the M8 HMC. Short development history and plenty of excellent b&w photos.

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Excellent idea! :D
    Sadly I do not have more than one book on any given tank, but I'll add what I have to any list like this.
    (My 'Stuart' info is restricted to Chamberlain & Ellis)