Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tank Crew Nicknames

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Cord, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Cas

Cas Member

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picture taken september 1944 in Valkenburg aan de Geul (8 kilometres from Maastricht)

Light Stuart Tank with the name Astoria. Tank supposted to be of elements of the 2nd Armoured Division "Hell On Wheels"

2. teetime43

teetime43 New Member

hi i was told my grandpa was called basterd bill and it was on the side of his tank .im acutaly trying to fing info about him his name is William John Milligan born 1919 in penslvania his wife pauline i know very little i have one story to share with my child and would love to know more abou him ive checked alot of ancestry sites to no avail thank you

3. lwd

lwd Ace

You might want to post a thread on this over on the information request sub forum. Several people on this forum seem to specialize in finding or helping find this sort of information.

4. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

Does anyone have a reputable source on this? I find this to be a fascinating idea and I would love to write an article about this for the wiki I work on.

5. 7thADgrand

7thADgrand New Member

hi! i am new to the group. my grandfather served with the 7th AD 129th Ord Maintenance Bn

6. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Don't know about US tank names but speaking as a British tank crew member my favourite tank name was "Semper in Excretum" which is dog Latin for "Always in the S##!t"

My own particular tank was a Stuart Mk 111, turret-less and known as a "Honey"

My tank commander was the Sqn SSM and we certainly had no name on the side!

Ron

George Patton and sonofacameron like this.