Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

tank forcefields

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Canadian_Super_Patriot, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
  2. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For some reason I couldn't see it on my computer but I've seen something that's related to AFV forcefields. I think it was the Trophy project.

3. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There was a show about tanks Sunday on ths history chanel. Kinda went from the start and moved their way up. I believe they touched onto a forcefield idea. They showed 3 rounds being fired at an APC and the APC fully pretencted. They took it from Britian but I cant remember what place.

4. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I believe the Trophy the the only "hard-kill" protection system under development atm, hard-kill being a system which actively destroys incoming warheads (in Trohpy's case by firing rounds at them) whereas soft-kill is jamming or disrupting guidance systems... there are some videos of it on youtube.

In the 70's the Russians first used this "hard kill" protection technology in Afghanistan; the Drozd protection system... It worked well, the idea was that it would shoot fragmentation warheads at incoming RPG rounds... In most cases the RPG was destroyed and the tank was safe, the only problem was that the supporting infantry were often showered with RPG fragments and ball bearings.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/docs/3aps98.pdf

5. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Along with Drozd updates, (Drozd-3 springs to mind), Arena, AWiSS and Galix...

6. Siberian Black

Siberian Black New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A friend of mine used to spew stories about experimental weapons and vehicles he was supposededly involved in the development of.

One of these was a magnetic shield (initially developed for paintball with special paint) According to him, they also tested it against live ammunition...with positive results.

7. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My mistake, I've never heard of AWiSS or Galix :-? , although I thought Arena was the update of Drozd? and that it has already been completed...

8. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    Just a couple of questions about this systems though...unless they 're carrying a nuclear reactor around in the back (which would be the stupidest thing I've ever heard of) how are they powering this thing?

Also:
    With the charged plates....I doubt it. If a cellphone can cause malfunctions then this thing would make sure the plane never left the ground.

Some European company (based in Italy I think) has also built a plane that has a wireless fly-by wire system (dubbed fly-by-wireless) If that the way things are going this shielding will never make it into aviation.

9. Cdat88

Cdat88 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    As for power, how much power could a 1500 horsepower turbine generate? Like say in an M1A2?

10. Gryle

Gryle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The plates are run off a capacitor, the capacitor can be charged by any electrical source, given enough time.

A waste of time. Aircraft are fairly lightweight vehicle and quite fragile. This technology works best against HEAT type warheads which are designed to cut through heavy armour plates, something which you rarely find on aircraft. Most anti-aircraft use a blast/fragmentation warhead which this really won't affect anyway. So it's pretty much a non-starter.

Back of the envelope type calculation says at most around 1MW, probably a lot less after losses are taken into account.

11. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    That's what I was saying.