Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tank turret emplacements?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by wilconqr, Jun 22, 2007.

1. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Nice pics.

I seem to remember something about Former U.S. M18 Tank Destroyers still being employed by the Serbs as well...:confused:

2. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

I guess these are set up to zero? But wouldn't they do that after the hull installation?

Attached Files:

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm that the one in Jersey is a R35 turret. These were captured in June 1940 and many of them were eventually sent to Jersey, I think after 1941. The chassis were often sent to the East front.

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

These are fixed turrets for gunnery training, 'fraid I can't remember the location.

Skip, Jersey seems to have examples of every French tank turret imaginable. We also were of the opinion that the one on that St. Ouens bunker was an H35 or R35 but the owner seemed to think it was originally fitted to an FT17, having seen his incredible collection we were loath to argue...
    (If anyone finds themselves in Jersey the museum he's squeezed into the bunker below the turret is wonderful, I thought much more interesting than the much vaunted underground hospital... he can also sell you quite surprising German militaria from the back of a clothing shop in St. Helier ;)).

Cheers,
    Adam.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

M18 turret mounted on the 'Krajina express' armoured train from that period:
    Krajina Ekspres,
    I've not yet seen any evidence that complete vehicles were used though.

There were definitely M36 Jacksons deployed, Bob Fleming, who imported several ex-yugo ones into the UK (I believe they've mostly ended up back in the US) used to run one with the distinctive supplemental Rubber armour still attached (some T34's received the same treatment):

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Adam.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Really von Poop? I did't know there were such treasures so close from my home. I must go to Jersey now. The trouble is that I have to find an excuse to drag my wife there, not the sun I'm afraid...

7. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

What is this? I've never heard of "rubber" being used as armor:confused:. Please elaborate more.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice picture Von Poop. It looks like this tank was made out of cardboard, it almost remembers me of the early Weimar republic tanks when they germans used "toys" to start training.

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It seems to be mining conveyor belt rubber, very tough & steel reinforced.
    I think the hope is to increase deflections/premature detonation of rocket weapons, RPG etc. The skirts have some give and would be adequate to set off the famously sensitive RPG warhead at a far enough distance from the running gear.
    The Soviets had a few rubber-armoured experiments, though none of them seem to have gone 'mass-market'.
    I suspect the Bosnian ones are more to do with that psychological perception of increased protection so important to vehicle crews, particularly perhaps while operating ww2 vehicles against modern weapons.

Cheers,
    Adam.

10. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Certainly chain-link fencing and/or light metal strips like the ones used on vehicles in Iraq would offer the same? protection while at a much lesser weight???