Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JeffinMNUSA, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Inglourious Basterds -- Film Review
    And it sounds like it will make Spike Lee's "adolescent comic book WWII" filmmaking look solidly grounded. Still...I will probably be pulling my hat down over my eyes and sneaking down to the cinema 12 to catch this one....seems a shame that with all the great real stories out there "Hollyweird" still has to make shootemup fantasies for 13 yr olds-but I guess that is where the $$$ are. AND I am thinking Tarantino may throw a twist or two into this tried and true formula. http://www.inglouriousbasterds-movie.com/
    JeffinMNUSA

2. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Yeah, I have to admit, Im strangely drawn to this as well.

I do wish though, that more films like "Defiance" would be made, you know?

3. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

been waiting for this movie since january true story cant wait til the 21st

4. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Inglorious bastards is a true story ??? :eek:

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

No, I think that 'waiting since January' is the true story.....:)

6. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Key;
    I think I will slip in opening week-what can I say? I grew up with John Wayne and SGT Rock too! "Defiance" was a fictionalization, but the filmmakers stayed within the realm of believability (well at least until the final scene)...this one? Well it sounds like a cartoon. But it just might be a well done cartoon.
    Jeff
    MN
    USA

7. R. Evans

R. Evans Member

I'll wait for the DVD release. Tarantino has let me down too many times recently to pay theater prices.:mad:

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

LOL, a 'What If' put on film.........:rolleyes:

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Ill go see it. Cant say I expect much but then again I will be watching a Jewish Brad Pitt with an accent killing Nazis! Might be entertaining... :D

10. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I'll see it...........never miss a chance to see Diane Kruger

11. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hi;
    The life and times of Abba Kovner would make one incredible film; Abba Kovner ; but Quenten Tarantino would rather do jagoff fiction. It is a Hollyweird perogative I suppose-that they will do what will bring in the $$$. We that prefer truth over fiction are in the minority.
    JeffinMNUSA

12. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

sorry for the confusion the fact that ive been waiting for this since january is the true part, only that part.

If its good ill hope to see this 2x before it exits the movie theater, I liked cabin fever with eli roth but i wont sit through hostel because im not one for senseless gore., Diane Kreuger looks fantastic in the movie and I've read some great things about the actor who plays Landa from some of the movie blogs

13. Martin Bull

There's an interview with Tarantino in the current ( 09/2009 ) issue of 'Esquire'. It really doesn't give much away, excepting that Tarantino even gives WWII a different ending.....

He also says 'I wasn't worried about it being believable. The entire scenario is all made up...'

Only a broad outline of the script is given in the article, which basically indicates that it starts with Jews being hunted by Nazis, a group of Jewish soldiers ( the Basterds ) are trained to hunt and kill Nazis by hillbilly Lt Aldo Raine ( Brad Pitt ) ; the Basterds then proceed to kill with cruelty and relish to give the Nazis a taste of their own methods.....

Sounds a bit 'Dirty Dozen' to me - one thing for sure, it's Tarantino so be prepared for controversy when it's released. You won't be able to ignore it.

( Part of me thinks : if we're going to see Jewish soldiers taking revenge again, why not a movie about 21st Independent Coy at Arnhem ? :confused: But that's another thread....)

14. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Martin;
    So they kill Hitler and the senior NAZI officials in this version?
    Jeffin

15. Martin Bull

No idea - nothing more is 'given away' in this interview....:confused:

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I've seen an ad on TV for the movie which of course has that "pretty boy" that Im no fan of-and the scene that it shows sticks out in my mind because of the stupidity of it-which shows "Dolfie" throwing one of his tantrums (which I don't mind that but) he screams NEIN NEIN NIEN NEIN and "Pretty Boy" shouts YES YES YES YES.

Im chalking this one up as just another crap movie that will completely destroy yet again, an improving image of Germans for the next 20 years. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sniper1946 likes this.
  17. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Well Said Carl!!!

I agree wilth you 100%

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

spot on carl,tarantino's an odd ball!

19. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

I don't much like his wife and her fascination with treating babies like Poke Mon (Gotta catch em all!), but "Pretty Boy" has done right by Louisiana I think. He's pumped a lot of money into rebuilding house after K-bitch came thru, so I cant fault him for that.

Certainly the younger generations in Germany today had absolutely nothing to do with it, but I dont think tarantino is doing that much damage.....Maybe to Brad Pitts career, but not so much to Germany. Not more than any other movie depicting Hitler and his cronies anyway.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Gents,

The trouble with his version of WWII is exactly like some of the movies we saw that were wartime propaganda that were meant to be such--movies like: Desperate Journey, Hitler, Dead or Alive, and countless other movies that were made to be as humiliating toward our then) enemies. Objective Burma was a classic on set against the Japanese.

As to whether or not the past should be forgiven or forgotten is that no it shouldn't be forgotten. The trouble is, is that people still take it to the extreme and whether intentionally or not? Germans who were either too young during that time-or who were not even born-still get blamed for those things-as well as those who served honorably-still get blamed for things they had nothing to do with. Also, many many German Vets still get dumped on just because they served in one capacity or another-in the war. If you ask most any German vet you ever meet-as to why they served--you can bet most of them will answer you with something like: I served because of wanting to see my fellow Comrades come back home after the war.

My best German Vet/Friend still living in Germany, still gets sad gross mistreatment because he served in the Kriegsmarine. Those who are narrow-minded called it "Hitlers Navy" and any KM vet you ask that to will kindly correct you and will say that it was "Donitz's Navy." My friend served on U 181 his entire war career-first under Wolfgang Luth and then under Kurt Freiwald. Both Kapitans were very honorable Commanders as were all the men who served on U 181 at one time or another-all were honorable men.

I was lucky and very priviledged to have been able to meet at least 10 of the surviving U 181 Vets as a guest of honor at their 9th Reunion in Bad Camberg, Germany back on Sept 15th and 16th 2000. At that time, there were at least four other U 181 vets still living but, two of them couldn't make the reunion because they were too ill to do so, another wasn't even known at that time, to have survived the war-that is--untill his Daughter read one of my postings here several years ago and decided to get in touch with me. This Lady told me her Fathers story and that he was pretty ill himself but that they both were wondering if I could get them in touch with at least one of his Comrades. I had no problem with that and sent both Dieter Hille and Karl Kaiser emails and Karl called Gerhard Kortz up the very day he recieved my email and told me about it in another email the next day (who was living in Wales) and in doing so, it made Gerhards life more enjoyable at getting in touch with some of his Comrades. Sadly, not long after Karl and or Dieter visited him-he passed away. At least he passed away getting the chance to see some comrades again.

I wa also contacted by the Grandson of another U 181 Vet who-though known to be still alive-was bed-ridden and was slowly going blind. This man was Franz-Josef Hawran. His Grandson told me some about him and that he had heard I attended the reunion and took many pictures. His Opa asked me if I could spare one photo of his Comrades-I sent him around 50. Shortly after he recieved those photos-he went completely blind. However, his Grandson told me that his Opa was eternally greatful for the photos and in seeing his comrades again and sent one of him to me. Also he was greatful to be able to see his comrades before losing his eyesight-which was I think about 2 weeks before he passed away. I was then informed by both Karl and Hawrans Grandson that Herr Hawran was happier in his final weeks-and they all gave me full credit for that happening-same as for Herr Kortz. I don't know about anyone here but-to me that is not only a great honor-but really made me feel better in that I made a few people a little bit happier and when they needed it most.

I don't really like taking credit for that but-it still feels great to have people say that about me. I had a similar thing that had happened when an American WWII vet had contacted me and wanted me to find the German Soldier who captured him-and saved his life by lying to some SS men (whom they had become friends) that he had lost contact with at that time-approx 60 years earlier) and whose name he could not remember-but he remembered the approx area he was from-and believe it or not? I was able to find this German Vet, and before he passed away--the both of the reunited and each visited the other at least twice a year for a few years. I was informed that after their 7th or 8th meeting-that the German Vet had passed away. The American Vet was of course-VERY saddened and deeply hurting. Even through all of that-he still gave me his eternal thanks for finding his friend-and also for making them both much happier. I do admit that I got then and still have now-a great charge that makes me feel great everytime I think about these three events.

My friend Karl, turns 90 in less than a month. He had sent me an invitation to attend his B-Day party-and I WISH I had the money to attend. This would have been a great party to go to ;-))

Sorry about getting a bit off topic but-I posted these memories here because I do wish to make it clear to anyone with a narrow mind-that not all the men who served in one branch of the other of the Wehrmacht-were bad guys. I know that you Gents above can destinguish between truth and fiction-so I don't have to worry about that. Trouble is, is that eventually a narrow-minded individual is bound to read these postings and then attempt to go on some sort of "Holy Crusade" against all Germans whether guilty or not? and whether they were alive at that time or not?

I definately do not condone the terrible things that happened by the scum of the Earth who did them-but on the other hand--I am defending those who are innocent of such events and will always do so until I pass away-or lose my memories or whatever?