Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The 1832 Pastry War

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Oct 12, 2017.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I noticed this was mentioned in an old quiz in these forums back in '03, so as it appeared in today's papers, decided it was time for a refresher.
    "If you ever need reminding how stupid the human race is, just read the story of the Pastry War. Even its name gives you a clue: yes, the war really did start over pastry.
    In 1832, a small bakery in Tacubaya, near Mexico City, was damaged during some civil unrest. Its owner, a Frenchman, wrote to Louis Philippe, the King of France, calling for action.
    The King duly demanded reparations of 600,000 pesos from the Mexican government (the daily wage of a workman in the country at this time being one peso).
    When no reply was forthcoming, Louis Philippe sent a war fleet to blockade the coast of Mexico and bombard a fortress. The Mexicans tried to get round the blockade by smuggling in supplies from the Republic of Texas.
    Authorities there tried to prevent this, and in one raid seized 100 barrels of flour. To this day, that part of Texas is known as Flour Bluff. No fewer than six nations were involved at various points, and the war cost 127 lives and left 189 wounded.
    One of these was Antonio de Padua María Severino López de Santa Anna y Pérez de Lebrón (really), whose leg fell victim to French grapeshot and had to be amputated."
    How six nations went to war over pastry | Daily Mail Online

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Only problem is that the Texas Republic did not exist in 1832...

3. toki2

toki2 Active Member

The blockade did not happen in 1832 but 1838 by which time Texas was a Republic (1836)

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

So, if I understand this correctly, the Texans aided the Mexicans who went to war over a Frenchman's Danish. :cool:

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

GRW likes this.
  6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Or "sheer stupidity", to use the medical term.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

I think my favorite it the "Pig War"
    The Pig War of 1859
    - The Pig War
    Perhaps that's because in the end it was handled rationally and the only casualty was the pig.