Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The assassins of Reinhard Heydrich question

Discussion in 'The Secret War: Resistance and Espionage During WW' started by Keeprefresh, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Keeprefresh

Keeprefresh New Member

Hey!

I just watched the movie The Man with the Iron Heart (HHhH) and after the last scenes of the movie, I have a question and I hope anyone here knows the answer.
    In one of the last scenes in the movie im referring to is when Jan Kubis and Jozef Gabcik is pushed down into the basement of the chuch after the SS storms in and kills 4 of the others involved in the assassin. And in that last scene, the SS is filling the basement with water when Jozef Gabcik says there is a sewer just outside the wall, so they start to hatch thru but after a while they take their lives instead because it's taking them to long.

And my question now is, did this even happen? And if it did happen, does anyone know if there even was a sewer behind that wall?

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Patron  

This excerpt might answer your questions.

Pannwitz and Frank had Čurda brought in to try and persuade the men in the crypt to surrender, but his shouts for them to give themselves up were met by fire form the defenders guns. The Czech's thought they might have a chance if they could tunnel there way out of the crypt into the sewer system below, but Jan Kubiš suffered from multiple gun shot and grenade wounds and died of blood loss.

The remaining defenders both exhausted and their ammunition just about gone, chose suicide over capture. Josef Gabčík ended his own life with a pistol shot. Fourteen German soldiers had been killed and many more injured in the series of attacks. The dead paratroopers were carried out in front of the church and identified by the traitor Karel Čurda.
    The Killing of Reinhard Heydrich! http://www.HolocaustResearchProject.org

PzJgr and green slime like this.
  3. Keeprefresh

Keeprefresh New Member

Interesting, and thanks for the info!