Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The astonishing interactive map that shows every bomb dropped on London during The Blitz

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by PzJgr, Dec 6, 2012.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

If you've ever wondered how close London’s landmarks came to being blown up in the Blitz, a new interactive map has the answer. The Bomb Sight project allows people to zoom in on a map of the capital to see the damage inflicted during the heaviest period of bombing by German planes. It was created by a collaboration between Dr Catherine Jones of the University of Portsmouth and the The National Archives, and funded by the charity JISC.

Read more: The astonishing interactive map that show EVERY bomb dropped on London during the Blitz | Mail Online

[​IMG]

GRW, texson66, syscom3 and 6 others like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

That is an incredible map. Right into my bookmarks for further viewing.

3. 36thID

36thID Member

Same Here

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Well, it seems to work. It marks the position of three bombs within 1 minutes' walk of my house, where today you can see later-constructed houses in amongst the Victorian-era ones.

5. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Great initiative, hope it leads to other editions. Spent many a happy hour poring over bomb maps in the archives, be great do to it from the comfort of me own chair.:cool:

6. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

It sure gives me new respect for what the British had to suffer during WWII. I have been to London but one cannot estimate how many bombs were dropped without something like this map. The cost for our visit by our local rural economy was horrendous for taxis and a very small room there...but we did enjoy our visit. I knew the bombs were numerous but this map is very good at completing one's conceptualization of what the allies suffered............................................:eek:

7. Dunserving

Dunserving Member

This new website may be of interest:

Bomb Sight - Mapping the World War 2 London Blitz Bomb Census

It allows the user to see where bombs fell during the blitz, and it is interesting to note the immense area that bombs fell over. Inaccurate to say the least, as if you know the location of real targets, like fighter airfields, aircraft factories, docks etc, you can see that there is no concentration of bombs in those areas...

Zoom in, move around, and try all the other buttns to find out more!

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The center was almost entirely obliterated ....

9. Dunserving

Dunserving Member

.....but most people survived and carried on.....

Remember those bomb sites are over a lengthy period with much clearance and repair going on.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Threads merged. Same topic.

11. belasar

belasar Court Jester

You know, had Germany dropped little red dots instead of bombs they might have won!

12. Dunserving

Dunserving Member

Perhaps because I am a Londoner I do not find that at all funny. With more than a million homes damaged or destroyed and around 20,000 dead, few in the UK would. Coventry was in some ways worse, and where I live now had one third of the city utterly destroyed in a single night. Other parts of Europe suffered even more greatly - I've recently been to Koln (Cologne of preferred) and what was blindingly obvious was how few buildings were pre-1945.
    A serious subject...

13. Dunserving

Dunserving Member

Readers might find it interesting to compare old with new, as in modern views of London from above as can be seen using Google Maps etc, with pre-war photographs taken from the air. You can view some 25,000 pre-war photos taken from about 1920 onwards at this site:

More search options | Britain from Above

But, remember that not every new building is a replacement for one destroyed by bombing, there has been other post-war redevelopment as well!

There remains much of London that is pre-war, and a great deal that is pre-America!