Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The attack on USS Liberty by Israeli forces?

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Varyag, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This event which took place during the Six Day War in 1967 still raises some questionmarks. The biggest is whether it was a tragic accident or if the Israelis knew what they were attacking. But if they did, why would the Israelis attack an American ship?

2. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: The sinking of USS Liberty by Israeli forces?

She wasn't sunk!
    The claims of a deliberate attack have taken the form of a conspiracy theory, but at least it is more credible than most conspiracy theories.

3. King Randall

King Randall New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yea i dont believe she was suck, only attacked and might have sustained some serious damage but none unrepairable

4. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    She wasn't sunk, just a glitch which has been corrected.

But the sailors who were lost were not unreparaible damage.

Why didn't the Sixth Fleet come to the rescue? If the radio signals from the USS Liberty weren't heard then the theory about the Israelis jamming their transmissions become more viable, if the Israelis didn't jam the radio transmission then one have to ask why the Israelis themselves didn't pick up any of them as well as why no American ships came to the rescue.

5. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well, time for a conspiracy theory. (oh i do love them :D )

The story goes as followed. Isreal was fighting on two fronts, with succes, but still it wanted on of the opponents out of the war or at least some help. So, they came up with the plan to attack an American ship. they used, what was it, Egyptian planes our their on planes with Egyptian marks on it?
    Anyway, the Liberty sended in it's first message that it was attacked by planes, probably Egyptian.
    Of course this pissed of the president, and in a rage of anger, he almost fired a nuke on Cairo. Nuking Cairo would probably have forced the Egyptians to stop the war and thus Israel could concentrate everything on Syria.

6. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Except the planes were Israeli with Israeli markings... :D

7. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    Never subscribe to conspiracy what can be achieved by incompetence.

8. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Lol..never heard that particular twist to this incident. There is zero evidence to suggest that the President entertained even the idea of nuking Cairo. The planes were marked with Israeli markings. The IDF has always maintained that it was a tragic error and they didn't see the US markings on the ship. We may never know the exact entire truth however it is pointless to turn to unverifiable conspiracy theories for answers.

9. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Or would have put the entire Arab world into a rage that would make present day Iraq look like a play-ground spat. The US isn't stupid by a long shot and they would have known to expect this.

Any evidence for the Egyptian markings/planes remark? Eye witness testimony? Anything at all infact?

Seems extremely unlikely, especially as the Israelis put their hands up to it and admitted the error. Seems odd behaviour if they wanted the US to get involved on their side doesn't it? Especially considering the likely consequences of this conspiracy backfiring, i.e. nukes over Cairo become nukes over Tel Aviv, or at the very least a crippling arms/financial embargo that would practically have the same effect.

10. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i only got it out of a magazine a couple months ago. don't shoot me, i'm only the messenger :)

11. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ain't that the truth! ;)

I believe that it was an error, but I still wonder how it happened.