Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Australian War Memorial - Awesome

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by CAC, Sep 14, 2017.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

upload_2017-9-15_9-40-12.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    upload_2017-9-15_9-40-52.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    This pic gives an idea of why Canberra is called "The bush Capital"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "G" for George

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    HMAS Brisbane bridge
    [​IMG]
    Tomb of the unknown soldier...
    [​IMG]
    Working dog memorial
    [​IMG]
    Massive depictions...
    [​IMG]
    Just whats in storage!

[​IMG]
    Simpson and his Donkey...together saved hundreds of diggers in need.
    [​IMG]
    Famous battle of Long Tan painting...Vietnam.
    [​IMG]
    Looking up an old friend...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Booty!
    [​IMG]
    SeaFury...

[​IMG]

All I could fit!
    They say to take at least one whole day to visit, this still is not long enough! So much in there...and growing all the time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Excellent.

3. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

Thanks, great photos!

4. Owen

Owen O

A place I have wanted to visit for along time after reading about those large scale dioramas years ago.
    Bit of along way from UK though.

When did you go?
    Have you got any of your own photos are all the above off the internet ?

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I went about three times over 17 years, the time I lived there. usually took a relo visiting to get me off my back side and go...of course, loved it every time I did. No photos sorry, but then I don't have many photos of anything.
    And yep got those off the net...wanted to post a dozen more, but there's a 20 pic limit...

6. TheFonz

TheFonz recruit

I lived in Australia for five years and was able to visit the War Memorial in 2004. I have to say, it beat the socks off of most of the museums I have visited in the United States. Canberra overall is a very nice city.

CAC likes this.
  7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Thank you for posting. To me a very compelling idea, combining a memorial and a museum. Memorials have a way of being solemn as well they should. Memorials are usually very moving to me. Museums have a different purpose and character. I like seeing actual things, imagine their use, their size and scale. There is a strongly implied activity within them.....to me They increase my knowledge and indeed excitement. Putting them together is brilliant, as my British friends are prone to say.

This place I would love to visit , I am sure I would feel sadness and exuberance at the same time, the strong boundaries of our ability to feel. .......................................................................................................................Gaines

CAC likes this.
  8. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

The Memorial is truly splendid. I did research there on and off for six months, and I got to know it well. It has wonderful exhibits, fabulous research resources, and a highly knowledgeable and friendly staff. I couldn't have written my book without the help I got there. The old part of the Memorial is visually impressive and the Last Post at sunset every day is quite moving. The Memorial stands at the foot of a very high, wooded hill which is part of a large park. The park is really an enormous patch of bush (eucalyptus forest) and it is full of native wildlife. I jogged there often (got into great shape doing it too) and saw kangaroos every day. Oh yes, and an echidna once. Truly a great, great place in every way.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Have to agree with everything there...! I bet you saw kookaburras, cockatoos and possums too! I remember seeing a platypus in a creek near Russell Offices too...man THAT was rare. Thanks for your post.

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Now that I mention Russell Offices... (only about 500m from the war memorial), its the ADF Headquarters which I worked in for 15 years...right out front, where it cant be missed is the American gift to Australia...I GIANT American eagle...instead of hiding it somewhere to avoid confusion, its front and centre ADF HQ!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whilst many have asked why there is an American "monument" outside a very Australian establishment...its stayed there because it looks cool! Its up so high one cant miss it...been a Canberra icon for decades...

11. Terry D

Terry D Well-Known Member

I didn't see kookaburras or possums at the Memorial, but every evening the mall in front of the place was flooded with flocks of cockatoos feeding on something or other. Here in the states you only see cockies as solitary birds in cages, not in big flocks, so it was quite a show for me. They are damned noisy things, very loud voices, and a flock of them sounds like a riot. I did see a possum at the National University, one of them hissed at me from a tree by night. It was damned big.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Haha...Yep Cockies are LOUD...especially the young wanting food...Black Cockatoos are the worst of all...just plod around yelling AAaaagh! for no bloody reason...While you were there, did you find the American Eagle a little odd?