The Batterie at Azeville was one of the first constructions of the Atlantic Wall in France, the cannons arriving here in December 1941. The serious construction of the Atlantic Wall in France was not undertaken until the end of year 1942. This battery is one of ten on the Cotentin grouped under the same regiment the HKAR 1261.Most German batteries have a view of the sea but Azeville is one of the few that does not. The #4 Bunker is now the Museum at Azeville, this is the rear view of the bunker which is the entrance to the museum. A fire control post was built on the hill overlooking St Marcouf which is 2.5 km away. The fire control post should have been equipped with a telemeter, but these were in short supply and because this was not a high risk area none was supplied and the men stationed here made their own rather inaccurate device. A telemeter is a device rather like a wide pair of binoculars that when focused will give you the distance and range of a ship out at sea. Two years later the same site was used for the larger St Marcouf batteries which were equipped with three Skoda guns of 210mm and one 155mm Schneider gun. The scarcity of equipment in both men and machines was very evident here and when the batteries were being constructed, local farmers were made to fetch and carry materials from the station with their horses and carts. This is the Control post that was shared between Azeville and St Marcouf (Crisbecq) The guns installed here were captured Schnieder cannons of First World War vintage. Several hundred of these guns fell into German hands after the fall of France in 1940. Because of their age, (the guns installed here were built in 1913), they were not as accurate or as quick to fire as modem guns. The Casemates here are of identical design type, H650 and the later ones have rounded corners, which was to help deflect incoming shells. The senior officer was a Captain Kattnig who commanded 170 men. This would be about the number required to equip a batterie of this size. After D-day many German soldiers who were retreating north from Utah beach took refuge here, and this swelled the number to about 250. The same thing happened at St Marcouf and from the normal garrison of 300; it raised to about 400 men the extras coming mainly from the beach positions to the south. The front view of the museum that was once the aperture for the guns to bunker #4 At Azeville most of the troops lived in the village, and some farmers had as many as 30 Germans living with them. The Germans built a Play House on the Azeville site to relieve their boredom of being isolated in Normandy. This was a very ordinary wooden hut thou the interior was rather grand, with two pianos and a bar, and it was said to have been the best bar south of Cherbourg. The Germans called it "The Casino" and it even boasted a small stage at one end with red velvet curtains. Dancers, singers and truck loads of girls were brought here from Cherbourg to brighten the lives of the men stationed here.