Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Battle of Tarnopol. Onl 55 German survivors

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by Skipper, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hufflepuff likes this.
  2. Cas

Cas Member

Never heard of the Battle...

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Egon von Neindorff (born 12 September 1892, Koblenz; died 15 April 1944, Tarnopol) was a Major General awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves for his defense of the German garrison at Tarnopol.

For his defense of Tarnopol, Neindorff was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, 4 April 1944. Neindorff was killed during the breakout from Tarnopol, 15 April 1944. Posthumously, 17 April 1944, he was awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves.

Egon von Neindorff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skipper likes this.
  4. 36thID

36thID Member

Always good to discover a new battle. So many out there.

Also, that site has an outstanding collection of photos.

Thanks for the link, that's why this site a gem !

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

one might want to purchase In the Firestorm of the last war year from the defunct Munin Verlag publishing, this was the 10th SS Frundsburgs first operation...............not sure if they were in Tarn itself but one of several trying to open the Kessel.

6. m kenny

m kenny Member

The photo in the opening post is a well known propaganda shot. Some versions still have a photographer (one of two) in shot!

7. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

Why 4.445 German fathers, brothers and uncles ... had to die in 1944 in Ternopil, Ukraine? And for whom? At that time it wasnt the question if but when the 3rd Reich will fall. What they have achieved? Postponed the marriage of Eva Braun for a day or two?

Germany should celebrate 8th May as a Day of Deliberation from Nazi Regime.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I never heard of this battle either so I did a little research. The site this picture came from seems rather pro-Nazi, at least by judging from other items it lists. I found a Russian video given to British Pathe about the same battle. It's interesting to compare the different views of the same battle. THE FALL OF TARNOPOL - British Pathé

Tamino likes this.
  9. LRusso216

Read Kershaw's The End for a fuller consideration of why the Nazis fought to the bitter end. Some did it out of fear, but many Germans continued to fight despite the inevitable end.

10. Tamino

They all knew what they've done in the East but the haven't expected that Alies would be so generous. Right now I'm reading Kershaw's "Fateful Decisions", a New Year's present from my daughter. My next will be "The End".

:)

11. LRusso216

Haven't read that one. *sigh* So many books to read...

12. Tamino

The actual tittle is "Fateful Choices". English is my 4th or 5th language and while readinng I've translated in my head "choices" into "decisions". It deals with the beginning (40-41) but afterwards, I will read "The End" too, to see the consequences of wrong choices. ;)

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You are right . See Mc Kenny's post in 6 , it's a propaganda pic. Considering it was a terrible massacre, they weren't going to show the boys calling for their mother.

14. arminiuss

arminiuss New Member

I would say the same about the battle in Berlin. Only a raving lunatic would have fought that battle. Luckily Stalin was just that guy. He cared as little for his own soldiers as the enemies. The massive casualties suffered by the red army were just stupid. The war was over. There was no organization left in the wehrmacht. It was just ego stroking to get a photo op for May day. But of course Stalin had already shown that anybody was expendable. Whether you were a traitor or a patriot to the commienut cause, you had Stalin's paranoia to fear for your life. Whether you are an enemy of the USSR or a Georgian or a true red communist, Stalin was your enemy. What a maroon.

Tamino likes this.
  15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Hitler et co used the Allied unconditional surrender term for their favour. I still wonder why it was used because it meant also Allied soldiers would die in numbers. Simply saying idiots!!! Let them surrender!

16. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Thanks, Bugs ;)

Tamino likes this.