Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The best war game?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by linc, Mar 7, 2010.

1. linc

linc Member

What is the best war game? e.g. call of duty, brothers in arms etc

2. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Medal of Honor & Wolfenstein franchises.

3. Richard

Richard Expert

Depends on what ere and where you want to fight...

I like Silent Hunter 3 U-Boats and Silent Hunter 4 American subs not forgetting IL2 series.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I fancy Talonsofts: Eastern Front game - need I say more? ;-))

5. Christian Snyder

Christian Snyder Member

My favorite game is probably Heroes Of the Pacific, it has very good graphics, a good selection of airplanes, and a lot of missions. However, it does have a moderate amount of cursing in it, which is my only complaint about the game that I can think of.

6. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

Call of Duty 2

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway

Medal of Honor Big Red One

7. linc

linc Member

i have to say the old call of duty games were extreme fun

8. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

You mean Call of Duty Big Red one..

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

from watching my grandson! all of them, cod and moh, all were very entertaining in game play...

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

lol, some of these responses crack me up. Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor are from the best in their respective categories.

The OP isn't very specific in what category, but I am pretty sure this has been asked in another thread before.

This thread also belongs in the Gaming section.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I also like Age of Empires.

12. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

The Original Age of Empires was AWESOME. More recent AoE games, like AoE III...not so much.

C.Evans likes this.
  13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im not sure which one I have? I think its the expanded pack? not sure? It also has scenarios in it where you can do El Cids campaigns and such. I tried it once and lasted through most of it before I was wiped out ;-))

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

15. Kruska

Kruska Member

Well there was a simmilar thread - on which I had already posted to in this regard;

So once more::)

Outfashioned graphics, but strategy and action wise it would still be, Panzer General and EAW (European Air War) to me.

On behalf of shooter games - some time ago (8-10 years?) - I found "Operation Flashpoint" to be a thrilling game.

Regards
    Kruska

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dang Ange, I figured you to ONLY play games that feature Cavalry Charges :lol: :lol: I would too if I could find such a game?

Kruska likes this.
  17. Kruska

Kruska Member

Dang to you Carl,:D

Yes indeed I am dreaming about waking up every morning just to finally find a release of a Cavalry game - Age of Empires has a bit, but those units simply don't pay off.

Btw, that reminds me - I should change my avatar to something more Cavalaristc :D

When I was about 17, I joined into wargaming with some British friends of mine. We played Waterloo and I naturally took control of Bluechers Cavalry going for a head on "glorious" assault against an artillery position manned by the Frenchies but commanded by a British friend of mine.
    Well he had a very cunning smile on his face whilst I was placing all them 1:72 scale horseman into position.(Almost a hundred) Just when I was about to taste ultimate glory (I was sabering away his "decoy" infantry) he mentioned something like - "sorry Andy shrapnel" and started to fling down about 90% of my Cavalry.

And all the while he had that damn satisfying smile on his face -aaarrrgggg. - ze Englaender Teufels

Regards
    Kruska

18. ww2cents

ww2cents Member

I'm a big Red Alert fan myself

19. Richard

Richard Expert

I quite like these free games based on the old DOS games Steel Panthers 1 & 2. OK, not high graphic but still good and you can create your own games, just a word of warning if you down load them make sure you install the patches in the correct order as they build on top of each other.

Just noticed a new patch for the WW2 is out, good job I checked.

WW2
    winSPWW2

Post WW2
    winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank

Kruska likes this.
  20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, sometimes I can "read" a person like a book, and oh you Teufel you, showing off that helmet that you were going to give to me for this years Christmas gift :))

I used to do that similar kind of wargaming too-and also did a bit of Dungeons and Dragions but quit that when it really was starting to become very wierd. Part of the reason I quit that was because someone made a character named: Jesus Jones.

Anyway, you might like Sid Meiers Civil War game set. I have it but have not played since last year sometime thanks to ultra slow computer. ANyway, this one has thousands of tiny soldiers moving all over the place-cannon booming, muskets firing and Cavalry doing their thing. My favorite scenario is Gettysburg-where I-as the Confederate leader-whipped them Yankees. IOt took a few hours to do so but, I either killed them all or made them all surrender--which didnt happen at the actual battle ;-))