Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The best war game?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by linc, Mar 7, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

This was one fo the first comp games I ever played but also never mastered since I didnt know my way around computers then-just like now. Anyway, I didnt know that game was still around? Ill have to get a copy.

2. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Carl,

sounds intersting, -but.. no Ulans, no Uuuulaaans.
    I can just right imagine you smoking a pipe and getting into Stonewall Jackson's boots :D

How is that beard of yours doing :D?

Regards
    Kruska

3. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Richard,

thanks a load - honest to God - I was never aware of that game - seems to be just what I am looking for - a Panzer General with enhanced graphic, I will need to take a closer look at this.

Regards
    Kruska

4. Anderan

Anderan Member

Well since the OP isn't to specific I'll just name a few.

Favorite WW2 game: Call of Duty 2, took the first call of duty, which was a great game, and made it even more awesome. It also didn't feature any of this regenerating health crap that makes recent shooters to damn easy.

Favorite non WWII game: Half Life 2, hands down, though I don't think it counts as a war game, I don't care, its just to awesome.

Favorite WWII strategy game: Company of Heros

Favorite non-WWII strategy game: Age of Empires II + The Conquers Expansion

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I wouldn't call Company of Heroes a 'Strategic' game. Perhaps 'tactical'. AoE 2 could be considered Strategic, since you resource gather and manage etc.

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

There is just such a large choice to chose from, I personnally don't think there is any one best game, but many best games depending on their genre and what you feel like playing at the time.

Grand strategy games: All of the Total war series, all great for there times and they keep getting better. WW2 best GSG would be HOI series.

Turn Based Strategy: The Combat Mission series.

Real Time Strategy: COH, FOW(MOW).

FPS- Hidden and dangerous 1 & 2, COD.

Squad based games (point and click): Commando's series.

Aviation games: IL2, Battle of Britain.

Naval: Silent Hunter, Pacific War 1942.

Role Playing (non WW2): Starwars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, this is probably the best role playing game ever.

7. Mussolini

Good choices Tomcat, though as good as the Old Republic games are, the Mass Effect series and Dragon Ages Origins are superior in my opinion (the former is sci-fi like Knights, the latter is Fantasy).

8. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Sounds interesting, I always enjoyed the old Medieval Knights with the armour and swords, especially the Castles, and there is nothing wrong with adding a few evil Goblins and trolls for the Heroic Human Knight to conquer in the name of humanity and close that evil portal to an alternate universe where evil wizards rule and humans are nothing but slaves no better then vermin.:D

9. Mussolini

You'd love Dragon Ages Origin then! Extremely gory (blood splatters all over your characters) great graphics, amazing story line and character development. Its basically the modern version of 'Baldurs Gate' which is universally heralded as the greatest RPG ever created. So much so that I even bought a new copy of it that works with XP etc.

10. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

My favorite computer games of all time would be Battlefield 2 and Age of Empires II.

I played Age of Empires 1 but didn't really like how easy it was to get wiped out right away. Age of Kings however allowed creation of defensive buildings which beat to pulp those who tried to invade me early. This allowed the creation of massive armys. I liked some of the team bonuses which it was fun to pair complimentary civilizations. I would have to say though that the AI sucked big time.

My other favorite game of all time is Battlefield 2. In all the games that I have played this game was the most team oriented and the game in which you really felt part of something. It just made sense to join up with a squad. You could communicate with everyone on that squad. You could spawn in with that squad. There were very well thought out interfaces for commanding, communicating and spotting. I don't believe this has ever been equaled IMHO.

11. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I have played some of the games you guys have mentioned and they're all good. Personally, I think Steel Panthers: Brigade Command would be the best. It's not much on animation but when it comes to replayability, it's really good.
    And Carl, I also liked D&D (the original basic, expert, companion and master sets). I haven't played that in ages. The D&D Companion set also have wargame rules. The rules were simple but really playable for an RPG setting.
    Oh yeah, anybody here who have played the really old SSI game Red Lightning? Before the other wargames came out, I considered it the best. Sadly, it is really dated now.

12. Anderan

Anderan Member

Strategy game is just a general description, Real Time Tatics does exist, but its generally a sub-genera under Real Time Strategy.

13. Hansloch

Hansloch recruit

Close Combat 2 & Close Combat 3

14. dazzerjeep

dazzerjeep Member

Syndicate on the Amiga in the nineties, spent two weeks on it sleeping for 2 hours a day and eating toast and coffee, I wouldn't say I was addicted !!! but I did complete it and lost no guys

15. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

Total War series, Silent Hunter series, Hearts of Iron series... early COD games (I only really liked Call of Duty 2 and Treyarch's first true COD game being Big Red One for Xbox, both came out in 2005).

16. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

Strategy games are my bag. Combat Mission, any one of the series.

17. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

My son loves COD World at War and Black ops. I like them too. Blazing Angels is pretty cool, trying to take out Junkers and Messers over the Thames.

I play War Commander from Kixeye on-line, Four Horsemen and Blue Star Nato alliance, Level 35, Captain. A Force for dealing with the cyber bullies in the Game. I'll introduce you to mein freund Mountain Force, whom many here already know. Wondering if any others from the Forum play WC?

Come on over all.

18. Bbqlou

Bbqlou recruit

Anyone remember the game Navel Ops for ps2? That was probably the greatest game ever.
    Iron Aces for Dreamcast
    Comany of heroes
    Hearts of Iron 3

And of course all of the modern war games like BF3, COD... etc, although, I feel like I'm the only one who plays them for the storyline on single player, lol.