Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The British Empire Contribution to WW2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Broadstairs, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Broadstairs

Broadstairs New Member

I wanted to enquire whether there are some suggestions among forum members as to this topic.

At present in the UK there is a growing tendency to highlight the contribution of all parts of the British Empire to the war, rather than Britain alone.

This is in part due to the historical neglect of these contributions and also in part due to a political attempt to redraw our history to be more inclusive.

This latter tendency does have a potential downside in that it can slide into being a re-politicization of the participants of the war for contemporary domestic purposes, principally to teach schoolchildren.

To get a true understanding of the wide ranging contributions of different groups - both battles and the type of contribution made (i.e. the military/fighting versus supply chain) are there any good books, articles or academic papers you'd recommend?

Many thanks.

2. harolds

harolds Member

Overall, I'd say that the Soviets did the most to defeat the German Army; the USA did the most damage to the Luftwaffe, and Britain was the main contributor to taking out the Kriegsmarine. Therefore, I might suggest that you could focus your study, at least in part, on the Merchant Marine. The war couldn't have been won without them and I've seen damn few accounts of the MM itself. Lots of stuff on the RN, but not the men who sailed the cargo ships. We have a lot of talent on this forum, so...Good Luck!

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

You might explore Toto's archive site, Hyperwar. Link in my sig.