Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"The Bunker" (GB 2002)

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by AndyW, Sep 15, 2003.

1. AndyW

AndyW Member

Ok, I admit that this is not a pure "WW-II-history-as it-was"-flick.

However, in this times where you've "seen / heard / read everything once before", I like the idea to put the Horror-genre in a WWII enviroment and mix both things up.

In this low budget film (out on DVD), a platoon of 7 german soldiers (13th Panzer-Grenadier) takes refuge in an isolated bunker on the German-Belgium border in fall 1944. The bunker is only manned by two Volkssturm soldiers, a very old man and a green boy. Supposedly under siege (as in reality the trapped German soldiers can't see any enemy soul outside), the only way to escape the bunker is a labyrinth of old tunnels under the bunker. "Soon strange things start happening. Have the Americans infiltrated the complex, or is something evil lurking in the darkness?"

If you get an idea about the monetary constrains under which the producer was working (collecting the cartiges after each MG42-firing-scene, using bunker walls in the next scene as bunker roofs etc.), it's a remarkably good, innopvating flick, filmed striktly from the German POV.

Hint: For atmosphere reasons, chose the audio channel with the german syncronization and your language's subtitles: The english actors will talk german.

Cheers,

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I'll give it a shot--when i can buy a copy of it.

I just "invested" about $10.00 in the remake of "Charge of the Light Brigade" and it has nothing on the origional movie that had Errol Flynn and David Niven. Needless to say that Trevor Howard and Harry Andrews (two of my favorite British actors) did not help out the film.