Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Christmas Miracle at the Battle of the Bulge

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Col. Hessler, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I had no idea where to post this so, I just posted it here. :D

I found this story on the internet, and I thought I'd share it with you guys.

A man now, he narrated this story as he was a boy at the time in 1944. The Battle of the Bulge was at its height. A German cook who was with the German Army there had left his wife and the above mentioned little boy in a shack way in the woods seemingly from harm's way.

It was December 24th, Christmas Eve and it was a very cold night. Many soldiers on both sides became lost from their units and were looking for a place to stay. Three American Soldiers were lost around the area where the shack was. They saw the light from the shack and the smoke from the chimney. They saw their chance to warm up. They knocked on the door and asked if they could come in. The German lady had a small chicken cooking for themselves but invited the Americans in to warm up and for the Christmas meal.

One of the American Soldiers was wounded and the lady tried to make him comfortable. There was a language barrier for a time till one of the soldiers found out the lady could speak French as well as German! So everything was going well and the Americans were feeling right at home!

Then suddenly there was a knock at the door. The American's went for their guns. The lady went to the door and answered it. There were four German soldiers who were lost from their unit and they asked the lady for shelter. The lady answered them with this, "Yes, you can come in for Christmas dinner but I have other guests." One German soldier remarked, "Americana." She said, "yes and that this was Christmas and there would be no killing on this night." She also told the Germans that they would have to lay down their weapons while they came in. She instructed the Americans to do the same!

There they were all in the room together, soldiers who a little while ago were bent on killing each other. Now, they were in a room together with no weapons. Everyone could feel the tension in the air. It was so quiet for about ten minutes. Then one American soldier offered the Germans a cigarette. They obliged! Suddenly one of the Germans who had medical training asked about the wounded American. He then began to help the wounded American and made him as comfortable as he could be.

Suddenly, Christmas dinner was ready and before they ate the lady had a speech for them. She told them that war was wrong and told them the beauty of Christmas day and what it all meant. (Of course she said in German to the Germans and French to the Americans). All the soldiers had tears in the eyes, even the tough German Sergeant. So with that they ate and from an uneasy friendship was built a genuine friendship in Christ that night. Later on the soldiers all sang Silent Night in their own native tongues.

So later on the former enemies all went to sleep under the same roof. In the morning the Germans built a stretcher for the wounded American and even gave directions to the Americans on how to get back to their lines. The Germans took the lady and her son back to the German lines to bring them to her husband.

So, for one night in a great battle, Christ's peace was in the hearts of these nine people.

2. Ezri

Ezri Member

There was a film starring Linda Hamilton made about this and after watching it I tried to find the actual story but couldn't. So thank you for posting this.

3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

That movie is called Silent Night.

[ 19. December 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: col. hessler ]

4. Ezri

Ezri Member

Ah THATS it!! Thank you. I saw it only a few months ago and have been trying to remember it's title ever since! [​IMG]

5. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

Interesting story - first I had heard of it.

6. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

It's a wonderful story I've heard it before maybe in school but somewhere i did, its just really nice that in times of hell for one small moment everything can seem like it will be alright and there is good in everyone.

7. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

of course!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER :)

8. Born A Marine

Born A Marine recruit