Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Cruel Sea

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Cabel1960, Oct 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Thou i have had this dvd for quite a while i watched it for the first time last night, it was a little slow to start with thou i did get into it a little lter. The best was saved till the last when they were hunting the submarine and i also though Jack Hawkins was outstanding for a film of its age.

Gave it 8/10 :thumb:

2. Jamie 111

Jamie 111 New Member

via War44
    A superb film. I enjoyed the book even more.."The Cruel Sea" written by Nicholas Monsarrat. It was based on his war time experiences...and other books as well.. ie "Three Corvettes"

The part the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy played in WW11 has been largely ignored by the "Movie" business. It is not "box office"..so we are treated to the "Private Ryan" type of films so beloved by Hollywood....So that fact alone makes "The Cruel Sea" a unique film in its own right.

Nice post mate.

3. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Thanks Jamie, the dvd is one of three in a package of old films, the next one i will be watching is cockleshell heroes a true story based on a British team trying to infiltrate a French port blockaded by the enemy.Will post up a review after watching it. :fag:

4. Dave War44

Dave War44 Member

via War44
    I also saw it for the first time recently and also loved it. It's dated of course but ahead of its time maybe in some ways? I particularly remember the doomed junior officer played by Denholm Elliot. Returning on leave after being torpedoed and going through hell surviving on a raft, he finds his wife to be totally uninterested and seeing other men! :ahg: Cruel is the word !!!
    Dark and powerful even today, nice post Joe !

5. fpbeast

fpbeast New Member

via War44
    Having Really Watched it is it worth watching then