Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"The Desert Battalion" and Mrs Edward G. Robinson

Discussion in 'Women at War' started by Jba45ww2, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

I might be stretching the "Women at War" post but in my opinion it is warranted with this grouping.
    I am sure most people who have studied WW2 have heard of the Hollywood Canteen and the great things Hollywood and its stars did for the men in uniform. There also was another little known Hollywood group that was lead by Mrs. Edward G. Robinson who brought girls out to the dessert for dances and entertainment of the troops.

I was lucky enough to get her entire scrapbook collection documenting the creation of "The Desert Battalion". It includes hundreds of letters and pictures from ordinary soldiers to the President of the United States. When I saw the grouping it was being just thrown in a pile and not given the respect it truly deserved. It is my only "non military" grouping but in my opinion one of the most important because of what they were doing,

They would also hold a dance at a place named "Casa Dorinda" in Montecito Ca. There are hundreds of signatures of serviceman that attended on these beautiful grounds. It has now been turned into a very high ended independent living apartments. She also wrote a small book that I have a copy that she would hand out when visiting hospitals etc. Based on the letters the drawings were done by Disney but he did not want any credit for the work.

Very interested in hearing your feedback regarding the work Mrs Robinson and these women did..
    dsrt1.JPG
    dsrt2.JPG
    dsrt3.JPG
    dsrt4.JPG
    dsrt5.JPG

dsrt7.JPG dsrt8.JPG dsrt9.JPG dsrt10.JPG dsrt11.JPG

ColyH likes this.
  2. Jba45ww2

dsrt12.JPG dsrt13.JPG dsrt14.JPG dsrt15.JPG dsrt16.JPG dsrt17.JPG dsrt18.JPG dsrt19.JPG dsrt20.JPG dsrt21.JPG

Takao likes this.
  3. Jba45ww2

4. Takao

Takao Ace

That's really cool find. Glad to see it found a good home.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I can't believe this was being gotten rid of. Glad you "rescued" it. I'm sure it will find a good home in your collection.

6. DBUK

DBUK New Member

My mother was a member of the Desert Battalion and had her membership card stolen toward the end of the war.
    There is a group photo of the members - is there a way to see a better copy or a copy of that photo? I would love to be able to find her face. She had a few stories about being part of the group during WW2.
    Thank you for posting and saving the scrapbook.

7. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Good find of impressive significance of the largely untold story of women in the war.

8. Jba45ww2

So many stories that are forgotten because they get lost through time.

9. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

And so many veterans wanted to forget their experience and get on with life. War is no picnic so it's a big thing when a vet opens up and talks.

Jba45ww2 likes this.
  10. Mick O'Neal

Mick O'Neal New Member

Hi there... My Mom just passed away at the age of 100 last week and was a member of the Desert battalion. I have everything you can imagine. Let me know and maybe I can help you.

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome to WW2f Mick,

I'm sure there are a lot of us on here that would enjoy anything you'd be willing to share. Feel free to start a thread - or add to this one - and post as much as you'd like.

12. Garrett

Garrett New Member

My wife's mother was a member of the Desert Battalion. Have you any more photos you can share?
    Thanks!

13. ColyH

ColyH Member

I have never understood why people will just throw stuff out without looking at what they are throwing out.