Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The E-Bay Auster!

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jun 27, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"An allied aircraft used in the Second World War for the invasion of Germany could be yours for just £4,000 on eBay.
    The 1944 Taylor Craft Auster was used after D-Day when British and Allied forces were pushing back the Nazis from Holland and Germany during the closing chapters of the war.
    The 70-year-old plane, with the registration TJ398, was used to fly low, spot enemy forces and give Allied forces the information to co-ordinate more devastating attacks.
    But although it looks in mint condition there is one major problem - it has no engine.

Owner and military enthusiast Karl Edmondson, 52, from South Shields explained the importance of this aircraft to the war effort, which eventually saw Germany successfully defeated.
    'The aircraft's top speed was about 120 miles-per-hour,' said Mr Edmondson.
    'It's one of the last of its squadron, and was used to support ground troops in their push through Europe.
    'It was used to fly just above the tree line and spot enemy troops before the pilots would radio allied troops in charge of artillery.
    'Interestingly, Star Trek actor James Doohan who played Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott flew in the plane's sister squadron 666 during the Second World War.'

As part of the 665 Squadron the aircraft, was manned principally by the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Canadian Artillery, with selected British artillery pilots assisting in squadron formation.

The squadron was deployed to the Netherlands in April 1945 and after Victory in Europe in May that year part of the squadron was sent to Allied headquarters in Germany for American intelligence duties. It was later restored in Scotland.
    Buyers have an option to purchase an engine for the plane, which is sadly no-longer flying - with one enquiring whether the engine can be purchased on its own."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349473/World-War-Two-plane-used-defeat-Hitler-sale-eBay.html#ixzz2XSqD1FJU

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Oh, if I only had the money for the plane, the engine, and a place to keep it. Other than those limitations, I'm all over it.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Give me a V8 Storch any day...nice peice though.

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

There you go with the negative vibes again, man.

5. texson66

texson66 Ace

Isn't owning your own aircraft a civil right now in the US? Everything else is apparently!

6. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Good taste.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEpbv5dHEQ[/YOUTUBE]

CAC likes this.
  7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

i'd buy one for my butler