Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Fall of Berlin 1945

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Tolga Alkan, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It became very delay to read this book for me.Finally I'm about to get it.I have a quick look in bookshop and before getting,I would like to hear your opinions on Antony Beevor's "The Fall of Berlin 1945".

Best Regards
    Tolga Alkan

2. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I got it yesterday and reached to quarter of entire book.It seems very good reading that I can say.

3. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was told long ago that this book was very good, but I haven't read it (yet). Nothing beats Cornelius Ryan! :D

4. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I watched a WW II special on this last battle, the battle for Berlin, and it was revealed that the Soviets lost approx 900 tanks. Wow! How could anyone move, walk, run with all that debris. I guess the Soviets found out the hard way what it was like for the Germans in Stalingrad; being the attacker throwing itself against a desperate enemy and prepared defenses, the street to street fighting.

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    By the way, did you hear about the movie "Untergang"? This just came out in Germany, very controversial. It's about the last 12 days of Hitler's life...

6. Tolga Alkan

Tolga Alkan New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No doubt that Cornelius Ryan is the best! :D

The most impressed part that I've read in the book that I passed recently,actings of the Soviet soldiers towards the German ladies during the borders of Vistula Offensive.It was said that they were plenty of cruel behaviours by the Soviet soldiers like rape and then it was explained reasons of it,because the Soviet soldier was lacking general sexual education and experience.That was supposed to be directives of Communist State.And story goes so on.

About Der Untergang,I watched its trailler and looks very promosing!I'm really curious on it,Germans are lucky to watch it firstly.

Best Regards
    Tolga