Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Guns of Oscarsborg Fortress

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Skua, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I took these pictures during a visit at the Oscarsborg Fortress, which is situated on a small island in the narrowest strait of the Oslofjord. Any enemy fleet on it's way to the capital of Norway had to pass Oscarsborg Fortress, not an easy task as the German fleet discovered in April 1940.

Oscarsborg Fortress has been open for the public only for a few years now, and is really worth a visit. It is large, even by international standards, and the area is beautiful and filled with interesting objects.

There were a lot of guns placed around the fortress. Many of them completely unknown to me, so I would appreciate if anyone could ID them for me.

2. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The main battery was the first taste the Germans got of the fortress, and if I remember correctly they scored a couple of hits on the German fleet. These guns were made in Germany, to no comfort for the German fleet I'm sure, probably by Krupp, but I'm unsure about the calibre.

3. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Now to some of the guns I'm unsure about.

4. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A few more pics.

5. Man

Man New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've been there! Pity you didn't catch the 105 mm FlaK, it's situated a little away from the main battery. :D

6. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I ran out of film. I did get a few other guns though, but i thought they were too old to be relevant here. And of course quite a few photos of the scenery and my family.

7. Zable Fahr

Zable Fahr New Member

This red charnel pit of primal horror, howling bla
    via TanksinWW2
    i snooped around the interwebs, and according to the official Oscarsborg Museum homepage, the guns Moses, Aron and Josva (Joshua) (named like that after Moses' barrel fell into the water during unloading) are 28 cm guns.

there is a fourth gun as well, a 30.5 cm one called Methusalem since it's so old (from 1879)

great pictures, by the way!

8. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks! :)

Yes, there are four guns in the main battery, and one of them looked slightly different when I come to think of it. I think it's the left one in the photo above showing two of the guns.

German guns with Jewish names, and they gave the Germans a good taste of their own steel. :D