Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Island of Unloved Battle Rifles

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, May 1, 2014.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A busy night and morning in my "yard." The bobcat is particularly large, the camera caught him in the same place as the javelina and the coyote yet in scale he's larger than either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smiley 2.0 and Otto like this.
  2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Drug Mule Deers! Damn cartels.
    Nice pics. It'd be easy to hook up a wireless camera and watch real time, if not too far away.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It's exactly 65 yards from my front door. I can watch from my windows on nights when we have a moon.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

He's been here almost every night or morning for the last couple of months, so he's now officially my pet cat. His name is Bubba. Bubba doesn't wants cheezeburger, he wants rabbit.

[​IMG]

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I moved a kiddie pool in the unused dog yard this morning as I was mowing in there and found this Coppernohead. It chose to defend what it thought was it's home against the lawnmower and the machine won.

I hauled off the pool, as we don't need it anymore and I don't want anymore Mister No-legs thinking it is a good lounge area.

View attachment 24465

Attached Files:

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I fought the law (n mower) and the law (n mower) won.

Otto likes this.
  7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm not fond of venomous snakes of any kind, but at least out here most of them have rattles and warn you. The mohave I shot a couple of weeks back didn't rattle. He was just coiled up on the dirt floor of the shed and didn't move. If I'd stepped inside he'd have nailed me. I've gotten used to carefully scanning any brush or shaded area before I step, so luckily I saw him before I took another step into striking distance.

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

You should be wearing snake proof boots/pantaloons KB. At least a stash of antivenom.
    There is a weird VICE bit on a guy who injects snake venom. Says he gets high.
    Thinking- venom/ peyote bar. Kind of Dusk Till Dawn titty bar in the desert by your house.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I wish antivenom was available on the market. The problem here is that you'd need two different types, and where Jeff lives you'd probably need a half dozen.

10. Slipdigit

I think we'd do okay with probably three, cottonmouths, rattlers, and copperheads are the main ones we see. Coral Snakes are supposed to be around, but I've never seen one and they lack fangs anyway. I understand they have to more or less chew on their victim to get the poison in.

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

How many rattlers do you have there, Jeff? When I lived in Mobile and NW Florida I know there were at least two types, the E. Diamondback and Timber Rattler. You need a different antivenom for each type, though even if you get the wrong one they'll still help because the venoms are similar.

In the SW, there are dozens of different types, but not all in the same place. Here in the valley there are really only two, but in the mountains around here are another four or five types. The important one locally is that Mohave, because they have a venom unlike other rattlers, a neurotoxin. The standard rattlesnake antivenom won't help at all.

12. Slipdigit

I don't know, several. They all have rattles, so I never really differentiate and kill them all.

George Patton likes this.
  13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

If you get bit, or are present when somebody gets bit, it's damned important to get a photo of the snake, or just cut the damned head off and take the body with you. Getting the right antivenom may save a foot or hand, or even a life.

14. Slipdigit

Yeah, known a few people who have been bitten and know to get the head. Usually can differentiate between timber and eastern diamondback, which the most common around here.

I am more concerned with cottonmouths, as they are rather territorial and aggressive. Rattlesnakes will usually leave you alone if you leave them alone or don't corner them. Moccasins, not so much. They tend to come after you and are quiet about it.

15. lwd

lwd Ace

I'd give this a salute if I had any left today. :)

16. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Got him for you.

17. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Had to share this. The season wrap-up of Game of Thrones ended at precisely 7:15, and so that was the moment I gave in to my nagging dog and took her outside to take care of business. The cat had passed left to right a couple of minutes before to get a drink (pond on right) and then at precisely 7:15 it's staring directly at my door with its back hunched, ears and tail up.

What a beauty!

[​IMG]

GRW and Otto like this.
  18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Squee...can we keep him, huh, can we keep him...want to call him "Legs".

The white spots on the back of ears reminds of bengal tigers ears...Not an expert, but are there any other big cats with white spots.
    Thinking the spots may be a deterrent, acting as a decoy set of observing eyes to any threats behind the big cats.

Hey, welcome back Smiles. Don't be shy- jump in.

19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A guy up in Fairbanks had a lynx. The mom had been run over by a car and a little kit was running around so he picked it up and raised it as a house cat. He had it for some years and it was as tame as any cat, but some busy-body made a stink about it and the state seized it and destroyed it. So, yeah, you could keep one and domesticate him, but some shit bureaucrat would eventually show up and destroy it.

I've got at least two coming in. This is the younger one, and then there's a larger lankier one that comes in less often. There was a third one that was spotted, unlike these dun colored ones, but I haven't seen "Spot" in a while.

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Trying to remember...there was a ranching family who adopted a bobcat.
    They made a movie or bio of the family and cat. The whole town loved it. Think the school sports team was named after it...Long story short- a neighbor shot the cat for the 200(?) dollar pelt.
    Was an excellent bit- would recommend to watch it...will try to remember the name.