Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Island of Unloved Battle Rifles

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, May 1, 2014.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Shambhala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9DwzU3K
    Had heard of red dot, but not hologram. See that price ranges from 40 to over 1,000 buck. For a thousand bucks, i'd want the Michael Jackson hologram displayed over the target.- "Dance!"

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Hologram is just another style of red dot. It's pretty cool actually because since you have just a flat plane of glass, you can still look right through it and use your iron sights if the battery goes dead or it just fails, as electronic devices often do.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The upper receiver came today and it's beautiful! It's mostly beautiful because the coating and surface match the lower, so I won't have to mess with any of that trying to get the surfaces to match before I Cerakote them. The other big work saver is that I've found polymer rail covers that can be cut to length and hide that modern looking rail. Cutting those would be an enormous amount of work and it might be impossible to get the matching texture back. Also, it might weaken the upper and that's never a good idea.

What do you guys think about color? I'm definitely going to make the skull and the various knobs and levers look like distressed brass, but the rear of the lower receiver and the upper? I could leave the black or go with entirely brass, or do a gray like WWII parkerizing, or even an olive drab greenish color like you see on some old military arms. I think that last was a type of parkerizing, perhaps with copper or something added to the acid bath...? George will know.

I think if I go entirely brass, it won't highlight the skull and other "brass" parts. Black? Gray? Olive Drab?

View attachment 24695

Attached Files:

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Bright white molars with gold grill-... Just trying to help.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I'm thinking to tack weld, braze or silver solder some sheet metal on top the the handguard. Cut two "donut" rings for the front and back (inner hole sized to align with the edge of the handguard, outer side sized to be the outer radius of the faux water jacket). Weld/braze/solder the edge of the inner holes of the "donuts" to the handguard. No need for the rearmost "donut" to contact the receiver -- just position it far enough forward so that it won't touch the front of the receiver. Once done, roll a piece of sheet metal around the other radius of the two "donuts". Easier yet, order a piece of extruded tube that will fit over the rings and cut it to length. You're basically making a cylinder, with the DMPS handguard extending through the middle of it. You'll have a large air gap between the DMPS handguard and the shroud, but if you use thick enough sheet for the shroud you shouldn't have any issues. It should be a simple job for a metal shop, if you have any around you. Once done finish it so it looks bronze.

Just an idea.

6. George Patton

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to by "olive drab greenish color" but I will take a stab at it.

For those unfamiliar with parkerizing, this is the name for a zinc phosphating process used on USGI WW2 guns (and on some post-war rifles from other countries). The practice fell out of "popular" use with militaries in the 1960s or so. "Standard" USGI parkerizing had many different colors and tints. This was dependent on the chemicals used in the phosphating process and process variables (temperature, duration). Parkerzing from different facilities will all look a bit different but generally has a green-grey tone to it. You can see everything from green with a black tint, a light green, green with a grey tint, a gunmetal grey, and a light grey (with everything in between). I haven't seen one myself, but apparently early Garands were actually parkerized charcoal/black.

Apparently the parkerizing will react with cosmoline preservative and other oils over time and will begin to turn a dark green. I'm guessing this is what you're refer to. I haven't looked into it myself but that's what I've heard.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think that's right, like the 'plum' color you sometimes see on parked old rifles. Yet, I've also seen old Maxims and the like painted green and that's what I was referring to.

[​IMG]
    As I'm looking at this, it gets more complicated than that. To actually look like a water jacket you'd need to cap it at each end, and those caps would need two holes for barrel and gas tube. Then you might as well put a faux water cap on top and so on. The inner handguard has to be screwed in so you'd need to remove the entire gas system each time you wanted to remove or put it back and lord knows how you get the gas tube back into the receiver once the water jacket is in place. I'll need to do that regularly to properly clean and lube the barrel which will now be in an enclosed space where moisture and rust may form.

See what I mean? It gets ... complicated.

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A hip-hop rifle... hhhmmmmm...

9. Otto

Otto No More Half Measures Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

In this case you are doing everything wrong. The weapon will have to be held sideways and all sights mounted on the side as well.

Poppy likes this.
  10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The rifle on the bottom is the kind of paint scheme I'm going for on the lower receiver. The rest of his rifle(s) are standard AR, but with the side-charging receiver and other retro type stuff, my rifle will not be recognizable as an AR.

[​IMG]

11. George Patton

Ahh, now I see. I think that's just a heavy enamel paint.

I wasn't thinking of making it look like a full-out water jacket. I was thinking make the waterjacket only go around the handguard, with the barrel free-floating within the handguard. The gas system would be totally contained within the handguard, so no need to screw around with modding the faux waterjacket to make it fit. That way it'd look kind of like a cross between a Maxim and a Lewis Gun. Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the AR15 system (I've never owned one and have only shot one once)!

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I had to google up some images of a Lewis gun to refresh my memory. That would certainly work, and it's a great look! To get it right, I'd have to hide the front gas system/sight mount under the hood and then put the front sight on a clamp just like the Lewis. I suspect a muffler is out there just waiting to get turned into a Lewis gun hood!

Even better, I just ordered a 1911 style rear grip that very much resembles the grip on the Lewis gun.

Thanks for that suggestion!

[​IMG]

Yes, in relying on memory I was thinking it was a Parkerizing of some kind, but when I pulled up the images I can see it's paint. The reason I'm thinking of a green Cerakote, is that if I paint once in that color and then bake it on to cure it. I can then overlay brass Cerakote in various spots (the skull, the knobs and levers) and then wear off the uncured Cerakote with a green pad, toothpicks, etc, to get that distressed brass look - verdigree? Brass going green in the low spots like nobody keeps it polished... Then bake it again to cure the second coat.

That's how they get that look in two of the three rifles pictured above. I his case though, he's going for a bare steel look, where I'd want sections to appear as brass.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Anyone see HellBoy 2 (my favorite movie)- when they need the special equipment to find the bag lady/Troll market?
    The head gear. Where they would flip different lenses (like an optometrist) in order to see the target.
    How about head gear (or scope) that would be needed to fire your hep/hip assault gun, where you'd have to flip a bunch of lenses in order to sight-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1uKypWnGQ

KodiakBeer likes this.
  14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The parts keep coming in, but I haven't done any fitting yet. The latest is the "1911" grip adapter, which will take some fitting to the wood itself. I took pix next to a standard flat-top AR 15 so you can see how different this really will be when finished. Definitely retro even at this early stage. Note that there is no forward assist on the side-charging upper because a side-charging upper is its own forward assist.

View attachment 24752

Attached Files:

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Attached Files:

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Cats. Cats everywhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Owen likes this.
  17. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner) Patron  

Cats love to chase laser pointers. Although A-58 pooh pooh'd the idea of a laser sight on your mutant gun, it could be used to entertain and exercise the cats...

18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

Hey! I only poo what needs to be poo'd. And that laser sight thing is sooooo passe. Holograms are in now dood!

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Last 2 days, worked at a Grizzly Bay, and a Kodiak Crescent...figured synchronicity was sending me a message, so here i is.
    How is the project going?...hoping you adopted my Hellboy headset matched with a brass long tube telescope. User also has to wear a long coat and cowboy hat, leather gloves with the last half of the fingers cut out. Dirty finger nails will add to accuracy.

20. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm still gathering parts. The wood furniture is turning into a roadblock. They make wood stocks, but finding somebody who can turn that into a retro looking piece with a curved buttplate is a dead-end.